1st year savings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st year savings

Originally Posted by jbollt
"Yikes. Come on. You cannot compare your saving with what you replaced it makes no sense other then in your own mind."

Had you bought a non hybrid camry, you would have saved as well. Take the difference between that and your TCH and that is a more accurate number of what you saved. Not complete but closer."

Livvie, yes, I understand your point, but..BUT... The only reason I even bought a new car was to get the TCH. Had it not been available, I would be driving the trusty Highlander another 3 years...and paying much more for gas.

If a person is in the market for a new car, then yes, I agree with you. Comparing with other choices is more accurate than with the replaced vehicle...However, if the only choice is to buy the TCH or keep the current car, then my math makes sense..at least in my mind! LOL

Edit: And, there are lots of things that make sense in my own mind that other people don't see....
I think that's true for everybody.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 PM

I come mine to what I had and what I would have bought. The regular Camry was never an option for me. I had a Ford Ranger at 17mpg and I was going to buy a Tacoma at 22 mpg. Never anything else. In fact, I didn't consider a car until the TCH and that was a very last minute choice.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I'll play this game! I traded in a 2006 Civic Hybrid for a 2007 Camry Hybrid a year ago since I enjoy the latter much more despite its worse fuel economy. Anyway, it cost me in total $9,000 excluding the trade-in for the HCH, and I used 660.6 gallons of gas when it would have been 568.9 in the HCH, so it's an extra $275.10 in gas.

So over one year I saved -$9275.10! Do I win?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Every morning, we make a choice to drive the TCH or the Honda Odessey. When I say the TCH effectively replaced the Odessey, it's because we choose to drive the TCH signifcantly more than the Odessey. We have, in one year, racked up 10,000 miles on the TCH that would have otherwise been on the Odessey. I feel totally justified in that comparison since it's a daily decision. For those days when we go to Home Depot, it's the Odessey. Days we pick up the neighborhood kids? Odessey.

Interestingly, I had figured I'd get flamed on my less-than-scientific Hybrid cost difference and not the vehicle it replaces. I wonder how Carl Rove spins stuff to stay out of trouble?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Ok. I'll put on my rosey colored glasses too.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
Ok. I'll put on my rosey colored glasses too.
hehe......maybe I do have rose colored glasses on also, but you know what? I don't care. I love the car, I love the long intervals and miles between fillups, I love how quiet it is, I love the technology, I love the smooth surge of power when I punch it, I love that it is very green, and I love the perception that I am saving money on gas. As they say, perception is reality. In reality, I AM buying much less gas. There are only 2 current model cars that get better gas mileage, the Prius, and the Civic Hybrid. (both seem like communter cars compared the near luxury of the TCH)

This is a great car.. makes me actually feel good every time I drive it, and even more so when it shuts down at traffic lights. And the look you get when pedestrians realize I am driving and the car seems to be off! "Priceless!"

PS Livvie, I do see your point about comparing with a gas only Camry at a lesser cost. You already know this... the cost of the TCH with all it's included "extras" is not that much higher than a similary equiped "regular" Camry, and I never buy striped models anyway. A friend bought an HH when they came out, and feels slighted that it doesn't have all the nice extras the TCH has for alot less money. (bluetooth, smart key entry, etc)

Jeff (as I take off my rose colored glasses and put on my real shades for a drive under the Tucson sun)

Last edited by jbollt; 05-25-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 AM

I'm not trying to take away from any hybrid (in your case the TCH). I own a hybrid so it's not like I'm against them. I just want a fair comparison. As you said the TCH is not a stripped down version of the camry... it's probably on par with the top level. It's the same with the HCH. I would not compare the HCH to the base model civic, it's more inline with the top level (EX).

Anyway, saying all that, I still think the hybrid manufactures can do more at the same cost.

Last edited by livvie; 05-29-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: removed typo
Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Arrow Re: 1st year savings

Think how much we could save if we all walked.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast

It sounds like I can throw my two cents into this topic now. I had a very nice 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited. It had almost every option (no nav or moon roof). I very much enjoyed the truck. The problem was with the amount of gas I was using. I was getting around 15 mpg and driving 30+ miles a day. While that isn't a lot of driving, it was enough to make a difference in my gas bills.

Before I got the truck, I had an Aeorstar minivan. During the summer of 2003, gas prices were fairly high, and I was able to drive my wife's Ford Focus to work to save on gas. But then I traded the Aerostar in for the truck. My wife was intimidated by the truck and she never drove it. This led me to drive the truck even when gas prices were high. So, this past April, after extensive research, I decided to buy a TCH. I honestly could have stayed with the Tundra, and while I do miss it, I am glad I got the TCH.

To me, I compare the amount of money saved with what I had, the Tundra, to what I now drive, the TCH. I know that it could be like comparing the TCH to an M1 tank, but to me, it was either stick with paying a lot for fill ups every eight days, or find a more fuel efficient vehicle. I decided to get a TCH for FE. I did not have to get a TCH. I could have just kept spending a lot on gas with the Tundra. While the Tundra was very nice, I did not use it as a truck hardly at all. It was my daily commuter, much like the TCH is now. I ended up getting the 50th Anniversary TCH because I liked the options. That and the delear did not have any other new TCH's at the time. I felt kind of spoiled driving the Tundra, it was a truck that drove like a car. Now after driving the TCH, I feel that I am driving a "luxury" car. I know this doesn't fit the profile of comparing apples to apples, but it was I have for a frame of reference.

Jason

PS - Steve, if I could walk or ride my bike to work I would. Well, probably not walk, but I do enjoy mt. biking. I just don't have the extra time necessary for me to make the commute by bike.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 AM

So what you are saying is please buy a gas guzzling truck prior to buying a hybrid so that you can be impressed with the savings once you switch over.

Quick Reply: 1st year savings

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands