1st year savings

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st year savings

I'm proud to report that in a little over two months and 2259 miles I've saved approximately $122 in gas over my previous ride. Yeah, this might not sound like much to you, but I'm thrilled because I'm using the savings to justify paying a service to mow my lawn for me.

It's all about rationalization and priorities. What the heck good does saving money do if you don't go and spend it somewhere else? I should put on even more miles and get a house cleaner!

Hey Pete at 21K a year I bet you can justify some pretty good uh massages.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
How did you come up with the $1600 number ?
The $1600 hybrid cost is rather arbitrary, actually, since we couldn't find an 07 Camry non-hybrid comparably equipped at the time. So, my caluclation is based on the cost of the TCH minus the sticker of some other Camry on the lot (I can't remember what line it was) minus the $2600 tax credit. I understand it's not perfect. It's very special math that only I understand.

Even so, I'm surprised how quickly the fuel savings adds up. I've dinged my windshield and will need to get it replaced with an expensive hybrid windshield, my oil changes and maintanence will be higher than a conventional car, and I was doubting I was going to save any direct costs at all. We actually didn't buy the car because of direct money savings by reduced fuel consumption: we bougt it beucause with two kids, we wanted to try to reduce our carbon footprint while still maintaining a traditional soccer-dad suburbian lifestyle. I feel I've accomplished all my goals with a car that I would buy again.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think you missed the point.

All the other person is saying is that you can't compare your hybrid to the car you just replace it with. You have to compare the hybrid to a comprable car because you could have bought the comprable car as your replacement.

Then, you can show exactly how much you are saving. Otherwise, why not compare your hybrid to the most fuel hungry car out there and really show off the savings... which is complete bunk.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM

I am now at 14,400 miles, and 10 months. I have kept every gas receipt, and just added up all the gallons used, which totals 351.4 gallons. This gives me a calculated 40.9mpg. Majority of my driving is short trips in town, most of 2-3 miles. Included are about 4 long interstate trips of approx 1000 miles round trip each.

Savings? The car I replaced was a 2003 Highlander V6, which averaged 20.1 mpg over the 36,000 miles we owned it, and we would not have replaced it if the TCH hadn't been available. So, my thinking is I CAN compare it to the car I replaced. The same 14,400 miles at 20.1mpg in the Highlander would have used 716 gallons, or 364.6 gallons more that the TCH used. Assuming an average price per gallon of $2.80, (too lazy to do the math to see what the actual price paid per gallon was) this would seem to represent a savings to me of approx $1022 in 10 months.

SWEET!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
I am now at 14,400 miles, and 10 months. I have kept every gas receipt, and just added up all the gallons used, which totals 351.4 gallons. This gives me a calculated 40.9mpg. Majority of my driving is short trips in town, most of 2-3 miles. Included are about 4 long interstate trips of approx 1000 miles round trip each.

Savings? The car I replaced was a 2003 Highlander V6, which averaged 20.1 mpg over the 36,000 miles we owned it, and we would not have replaced it if the TCH hadn't been available. So, my thinking is I CAN compare it to the car I replaced. The same 14,400 miles at 20.1mpg in the Highlander would have used 716 gallons, or 364.6 gallons more that the TCH used. Assuming an average price per gallon of $2.80, (too lazy to do the math to see what the actual price paid per gallon was) this would seem to represent a savings to me of approx $1022 in 10 months.

SWEET!
Yikes. Come on. You cannot compare your saving with what you replaced it makes no sense other then in your own mind.

Had you bought a non hybrid camry, you would have saved as well. Take the difference between that and your TCH and that is a more accurate number of what you saved. Not complete but closer.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM

"Yikes. Come on. You cannot compare your saving with what you replaced it makes no sense other then in your own mind."

Had you bought a non hybrid camry, you would have saved as well. Take the difference between that and your TCH and that is a more accurate number of what you saved. Not complete but closer."

Livvie, yes, I understand your point, but..BUT... The only reason I even bought a new car was to get the TCH. Had it not been available, I would be driving the trusty Highlander another 3 years...and paying much more for gas.

If a person is in the market for a new car, then yes, I agree with you. Comparing with other choices is more accurate than with the replaced vehicle...However, if the only choice is to buy the TCH or keep the current car, then my math makes sense..at least in my mind! LOL

Edit: And, there are lots of things that make sense in my own mind that other people don't see....

Last edited by jbollt; 05-24-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Along for the ride.....

Originally Posted by livvie
Agree, otherwise why not compare it to a M1 tank.
My M1 Tank gets 4 gallons to the mile but I find I can take shorter routes as the usual obsticles to cars don't slow me down at all.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hello from Prius world!

My feeling is not only for gas saving, but also safety driving.
I was a signal GP leader and driving on highway as fast as possible.
Now, I'm driving on highway as slow as possible.
The hybrid vehicle educates me about safety driving.

Ken@Japan

Last edited by ken1784; 05-24-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by livvie
I think you missed the point.

All the other person is saying is that you can't compare your hybrid to the car you just replace it with. You have to compare the hybrid to a comprable car because you could have bought the comprable car as your replacement.

Then, you can show exactly how much you are saving. Otherwise, why not compare your hybrid to the most fuel hungry car out there and really show off the savings... which is complete bunk.
Livvie - I normally agree with your posts, but I would disagree with you on this one.

Certainly, anyone can compare what they are spending on fuel etc. now versus what they would have continued to spend on their prior vehicle. This is the savings versus not purchasing the new vehicle (hybrid or otherwise).

Another valid comparison is to estimate the savings (if any) of purchasing a new hybrid versus say a new non hybrid over some period of time.

By the way - I did own one of the most fuel hungry vehicles out there - a 96 Jeep XJ which I loved to drive offroad in 4 wheel low gear - < 5mpg when rock crawling. It helped fund the HCH2 I am driving now at 10x that mileage. I am happy with that comparison and thats all that matters...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mainer
My M1 Tank gets 4 gallons to the mile but I find I can take shorter routes as the usual obsticles to cars don't slow me down at all.
hehe

Quick Reply: 1st year savings

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands