12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

SO with all this said, I am a bit confused on which Optima battery to get. Is it the D35 or D34? and what color, Red, Blue or Yellow.

Thanks for your feedback. I would like to do this but I need to confirm this.
I understand the Optima batteries are sealed and don't need venting? Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your replies!

Bill

Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
SO with all this said, I am a bit confused on which Optima battery to get. Is it the D35 or D34? and what color, Red, Blue or Yellow.

Thanks for your feedback. I would like to do this but I need to confirm this.
I understand the Optima batteries are sealed and don't need venting? Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your replies!

Bill
You might find the below thread informative/useful (if you can ignore the Optima bashing):

http://priuschat.com/threads/fitting...attery.122920/

Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Can u install a DC24 type batt on a 07camry

Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I finally replaced my 12V battery in my 2007 TCH. The car is at 146,000 miles, and a few months over 7 years old. The OEM Panasonic battery was still working, but I just wanted to be on the safe side and replaced it.

FYI, local dealers varied from $411 to $446 for the OEM battery when I called around.

I ended up with a Northstar AGM group 35 battery. The Northstar battery has vents that can be attached to the OEM vent tube using heat shrink or vacuum tubing. The OEM temp sensor unsnaps and peels off, a little hot glue attaches it to the new battery. The plus and minus terminals are swapped compared to the OEM battery, but the cables easily reach if the battery is installed with the terminals facing the outside of the car. The battery tie down bracket fits the new battery perfectly.

I found the Northstar PL-AGM 35 battery at batteriesplus.com‎ for $239. They installed it, and attaching the vent tube and temp sensor, and used a tiny 12V battery to retain all the car settings during the install. The battery has a 5 year replacement warranty. FYI, they relabel the Northstar battery as their X2 Power® High Performance Sealed AGM battery.

Last edited by nash; 08-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Can i use the new prius optima yellowtop battery (with a small plug in spot on the top left rear for maybe the heat sensor plug) model : Ds46b24r , part # 8171-767 as a replacement for the oem panasonic s65d26r battery in my 2007 toyota camry hybrid with 95000 miles on it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Can i use the new prius optima yellowtop battery (with a small plug in spot on the top left rear for maybe the heat sensor plug) model : Ds46b24r , part # 8171-767 as a replacement for the oem panasonic s65d26r battery in my 2007 toyota camry hybrid with 95000 miles on it.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Former Vendor

We list Group 35 batteries as direct-fit replacements for Camrys and they are larger (and have more cranking amps and reserve capacity) than DS46B24Rs. However, our Group 35 batteries are not vented and the Camry hybrid battery (I believe) is located in the trunk and needs to be vented to the outside air. The DS46B24R has a provision for external venting (the "small plug in spot") but would likely be underrated both in terms of cranking amps and reserve capacity for that application.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Jim,

The Camry Hybrid doesn't use the 12 volt battery for cranking (we have a LOT bigger battery for that....) so the cold cranking amps, cranking amps and reserve capacity aren't like a normal car. The AC is electric but is run by the traction battery also.

All that battery does is basically power up the electronics and allow the hybrid system to start. That is the main reason the batteries last so long in these cars. Mine was bought in October of 2007 and is still going strong on the original battery.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Jim,

The Camry Hybrid doesn't use the 12 volt battery for cranking (we have a LOT bigger battery for that....) so the cold cranking amps, cranking amps and reserve capacity aren't like a normal car. The AC is electric but is run by the traction battery also.

All that battery does is basically power up the electronics and allow the hybrid system to start. That is the main reason the batteries last so long in these cars. Mine was bought in October of 2007 and is still going strong on the original battery.
I have been curious about this: can we not take the Optima custom battery for the Prius (that already comes with the provision for attaching the vent tube) and simply install it in the HyCam? For the reasons you mention above, the electrical demand requirements on a HyCam should be in the same ballpark as that for the Prius, right? What additional demand would the HyCam have relative to the Prius?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by srivenkat
I have been curious about this: can we not take the Optima custom battery for the Prius (that already comes with the provision for attaching the vent tube) and simply install it in the HyCam? For the reasons you mention above, the electrical demand requirements on a HyCam should be in the same ballpark as that for the Prius, right? What additional demand would the HyCam have relative to the Prius?
The Camry will run a slightly larger battery just due to the options available on the car including the larger sound system, higher capacity seat heaters, lights, braking system and other circuits that have a higher capacity than the Prius. Will they work? Yes.....How long? Who knows....

When you get down to brass tacks, the cost of the battery spread out over a 6 or 7 year period doesn't add up to much per year in the total cost to operate the car.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands