08 TCH check VSC after rear pad change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default 08 TCH check VSC after rear pad change

Hey all, any insight is much apreciated! I have an 2008 Camry Hybrid with aprox 180k kilometers. Due to the sliders or somthing sticking I had to replace my left rear brake pads a few days ago. When I lifted the caliper the outer pad had been wore down to the metal along the top, inside pad was almost like new. I replaced both and did the same on the right rear (both right rear pads also like new but I changed them anyway) The job really coudnt have been easier. As soon as I started the car I got "check VSC System" and my e-brake, skid, abs & tire pressure lights are all now on. The brakes feel completely normal. I did not hit the sensor in back of the brake.

Any Ideas??

I've tried disconecting the neg on battery & plugged one of those ODB readers in with no codes.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 08 TCH check VSC after rear pad change

I think you might have disconnected the ABS sensor on one of the two wheels. Double check them and make sure they are plugged into the wiring harness and locked into place.

You will also need a better scanner to check for the ABS codes on that car. Take it to someone with a factory type scanner, an aftermarket scanner (EX: Snap-on) or someone who has the software on their laptop.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

I had a look at the sensors and they apear to be in place but I will triple check that and see what code the dealership throws. I have been recomended a way to clear the code by wire jumping TC to CG on the odb computer plug. I thought I would also give that a try & see if that gets rid of the "check VSC system"

Thank you very much for your responce!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Professor Emeritus

Whatever happened with this? Curious... I rotated my tires the other day @ 152,000 miles. Rear pads on mine looked OK. After reading this I was thinking about pulling the pads and greasing them up to quell the "reverse groan" and inspect the slide pins.

Now I am thinking I will leave them alone if it is going to throw a bunch of codes. I also saw that the ABS sensor is a good distance from the calipers. I don't see how he could have knocked those loose unless he had the calipers hanging on the front of the spring perch and one of them fell.

Also, are these the "push in" style rear caliper pistons or the "screw in" style? I wonder if that might have been part of the problem here.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Hey sorry for the late response, I wanted to give it some time & see if the code & lights stayed off. I performed the wire jump on the odb computer plug. It cleared the codeand all lights have gone out. That was about a week and a half ago. All seems normal since with no lights or codes. I find it hard to believe it was that easy but so far so good.

Ryan

Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

litespeed,

No problem with the brakes as they are a std design. They are also the "push in" style and not the "screw in" style of caliper. I have pulled mine several times to check for wear (and to put Permetex Anti-Squeal on the back of the pads). I also clean and lube them as this would normally be done during a brake pad change but I think these might last the life of the car so some TLC is called for to keep them from sticking.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for the response guys! Good to know all of that!

Do you have a link or instructions on how to jump those pins? That would be good for future reference and or for other people with a similar issue.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jibfest
wire jumping TC to CG on the odb computer plug.
Hey, jibfest, you realize that likely only very chosen here know what the hey you talking about?

Do all favor and post clear know how in English, please?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look at this link:

Toyota OBDII pin out

He is talking about shorting between pin 13 (TC) to pin 4 (CGND) (Chassis Ground). I have never done that as I have scanners for that and don't know what will happen but those are the pins. Proceed at your own risk. The connecter is located under the drivers side of the dash and is where a tech will hook up a scanner to the car.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

it's safe to do so since it's in the TCH service manual.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/63...ng-lights.html