Disconnecting the hybrid system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Disconnecting the hybrid system?

I have an extremely frustrating problem with my 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line hybrid and I don't know where to turn for help. The saturnfans.com forum has not been helpful, and neither have various Saturn Vue Facebook groups.

I started having issues with the Vue last spring. The battery light came on during a trip, and the vehicle eventually died, requiring a tow. The mechanic (an independent garage) checked the situation out. I suspected the alternator had died, but that wasn't the case. He determined that the 12v battery was bad (it was out of warranty) so he replaced it, and it worked fine. That new battery installation had the bonus effect of curing the "service hybrid system" message I had been having for awhile, but wasn't worried about because the vehicle was still running although with decreased fuel efficiency.

Fast forward to the fall. I started having intermittent battery light issues. I could start the vehicle and drive it six or seven miles (10-15 minutes) without issue, but when I started it back up after finishing my errand, the battery light would come on along with the "service hybrid system" message. Typically, when driving it home, other low-voltage indicators such as "service Stabilitrak" and "service traction control" would come on. If I would start the vehicle the next day, everything would be fine, but the issue would repeat itself. One day I ran errands and came home without issue, but then started the car to see what would happen the battery light came on. I drove immediately to the garage and they determined the alternator was not charging. The new BAS alternator/generator was prohibitively expensive, but I located a functional used one at a good price with a one-year warranty and had it installed. That didn't solve the problem.

Had a friend with a scanner read the codes. The relevant codes were P0AF800, hybrid system voltage; and P1A4700, battery energy control module hybrid battery voltage sensor performance.

But something else interesting showed up. With the engine running and the battery light on, the hybrid system voltage showed up as 3276.9. That's not a typo. Three thousand, two hundred seventy-six point nine. All temperatures and hybrid battery fans checked out normal. But the hybrid battery low current sensor and high current sensor had some wild fluctuations, from zero to negative amperage.

So I guess I have two questions. First is, where do I start in trying to figure out what's wrong and what needs to be replaced? Is this an issue with the BECM, a temperature sensor in the 36v hybrid battery, or something else? I don't have the money to throw around to try various solutions that may not work, and then have spent that money on a part that wasn't needed. I can't afford to have the garage spend hours trying to figure it out and putting parts on it that may not solve the issue.

In the interim, I'd like to disconnect the 36v system entirely so the vehicle runs only on the gasoline engine and the 12v alternator output. Is this possible? One would think it is, because I have driven the vehicle with the hybrid system not working in the past. But how would I go about doing it? What needs to be disconnected? The three leads from the alternator unit that aren't present on a standard alternator? Something at the battery itself? Something else under the hood?

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to make the vehicle drivable until I can afford to get the system fixed. As it is now, I'm afraid to drive it farther than I know I can get safely home from should the battery light come on.

Old 11-21-2021, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Disconnecting the hybrid system?

Originally Posted by hbelkins
I have an extremely frustrating problem with my 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line hybrid and I don't know where to turn for help. The saturnfans.com forum has not been helpful, and neither have various Saturn Vue Facebook groups.

I started having issues with the Vue last spring. The battery light came on during a trip, and the vehicle eventually died, requiring a tow. The mechanic (an independent garage) checked the situation out. I suspected the alternator had died, but that wasn't the case. He determined that the 12v battery was bad (it was out of warranty) so he replaced it, and it worked fine. That new battery installation had the bonus effect of curing the "service hybrid system" message I had been having for awhile, but wasn't worried about because the vehicle was still running although with decreased fuel efficiency.

Fast forward to the fall. I started having intermittent battery light issues. I could start the vehicle and drive it six or seven miles (10-15 minutes) without issue, but when I started it back up after finishing my errand, the battery light would come on along with the "service hybrid system" message. Typically, when driving it home, other low-voltage indicators such as "service Stabilitrak" and "service traction control" would come on. If I would start the vehicle the next day, everything would be fine, but the issue would repeat itself. One day I ran errands and came home without issue, but then started the car to see what would happen the battery light came on. I drove immediately to the garage and they determined the alternator was not charging. The new BAS alternator/generator was prohibitively expensive, but I located a functional used one at a good price with a one-year warranty and had it installed. That didn't solve the problem.

Had a friend with a scanner read the codes. The relevant codes were P0AF800, hybrid system voltage; and P1A4700, battery energy control module hybrid battery voltage sensor performance.

But something else interesting showed up. With the engine running and the battery light on, the hybrid system voltage showed up as 3276.9. That's not a typo. Three thousand, two hundred seventy-six point nine. All temperatures and hybrid battery fans checked out normal. But the hybrid battery low current sensor and high current sensor had some wild fluctuations, from zero to negative amperage.

So I guess I have two questions. First is, where do I start in trying to figure out what's wrong and what needs to be replaced? Is this an issue with the BECM, a temperature sensor in the 36v hybrid battery, or something else? I don't have the money to throw around to try various solutions that may not work, and then have spent that money on a part that wasn't needed. I can't afford to have the garage spend hours trying to figure it out and putting parts on it that may not solve the issue.

In the interim, I'd like to disconnect the 36v system entirely so the vehicle runs only on the gasoline engine and the 12v alternator output. Is this possible? One would think it is, because I have driven the vehicle with the hybrid system not working in the past. But how would I go about doing it? What needs to be disconnected? The three leads from the alternator unit that aren't present on a standard alternator? Something at the battery itself? Something else under the hood?

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to make the vehicle drivable until I can afford to get the system fixed. As it is now, I'm afraid to drive it farther than I know I can get safely home from should the battery light come on.
I learned over the weekend that it is indeed possible to disconnect the system. However, I still cannot find out how to do it. Any ideas? Can I try just disconnecting the three 36-volt leads from the alternator, or should I unplug/unhook something in the battery compartment in the back hatch?

Old 02-19-2022, 04:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

if it's the batteries are bad you can swap it with a 48volt capacitor bank ... they will out live the car it will buffer your dead battery pack

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 02-19-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

I bypassed it completely with 07 HHR alternator and belt it's the only vehicle I could find that was non hybrid 2.4 I imagine there are other cars with the same set up but it has a typical 3 wire alternator only problem I run into was the plastic pulley on the one tensioner was to big around I had to use one off a 2.2 one we had laying around other than tracing the duty cycle wire it charges fine batt light staying on but I'm sure that's not gonna be that big of a deal one can just use a aftermarket volt Gage if need be For right now I just left it as is will update soon

Old 05-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

I learned over the weekend that it is indeed possible to disconnect the system. However, I still cannot find out how to do it. Any ideas? Can I try just disconnecting the three 36-volt leads from the alternator, or should I unplug/unhook something in the battery compartment in the back hatch?
Did you fix it? I have the same problem and was researching online. Is it possible the answer is just to turn it off with the switch? Picture attached.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saturn
Did you fix it? I have the same problem and was researching online. Is it possible the answer is just to turn it off with the switch? Picture attached.
Thanks for this. No, it's still not fixed. Where is this control box located? I'm not really mechanically-minded, but if I can find the box, I could try this and see if it works.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for this. No, it's still not fixed. Where is this control box located? I'm not really mechanically-minded, but if I can find the box, I could try this and see if it works.
I got this diagram online and tried to disconnect it myself. https://www.gmstc.com/wp-content/upl...rid_frg_v1.pdf

Last edited by Saturn; 07-08-2023 at 07:47 PM.