Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Originally Posted by rrrrrroger
Yes the forum is privately owned. So too is Walmart. And if you start talking to other customers about how shopping there is "like being raped", the store manager can tell you to leave the premises, or tell you to shut up.

That's perfectly legal.

But is it moral? I have to side with "no". Everyone has a right to an opinion, even if the way they express it is not politically-correct. Millions of soldiers have fought & died for that freedom, and I think we should honor their sacrifice by preserving the freedom (i.e. not censoring other people's thoughts).

Sometimes when I go to the dealer,
I do FEEL as though I was just raped (like the $900 bill to replace radiator).
It's a perfectly valid thing to say.

P.S.

And if my saying "the dealer raped me" made you feel uncomfortable or upset. Good. Now you know how *I* felt about the dealer's service. I am very, very upset, and I want you to share that same feeling.
I agree... but you missed my point. To me words are words and nothing that could be said here could ever offend me. But freedom of speach doesn't give me the right to bad mouth the owners of this site. So that is why I said to a point. That's all.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I did not badmouth the owners of this site.

Originally Posted by spinner
How presumptuous it is for you to believe that I wish to be emotionally involved in your situation!
You chose to read the article.
You can also choose to not read the article.
It's all pro-choice & the choice is in your hands.

As Democrat Party founder Thomas Jefferson once observed, "It does not harm me, my property, nor my rights so I will not limit my neighbors' freedom." My saying that my dealer charged me $900 to replace a radiator, and that I feel raped (or screwed or taken advantage or robbed) does not harm you, your property, or your rights. They're just words.

If a word does happen to offend you,
you always have the option to
vote with your feet and walk away.

Don't demand the offender shut up, or try to censor him over one single word. That is the path towards tyranny. "With the first freedom censured, with the first liberty curtailed, the first link in the chain is forged that will eventually bind us all."

Instead follow Jefferson's advice and don't limit your neighbors' freedom. I'm sure he would rather see someone use an offensive word, then see them carted off to jail or fined. Defining what words can or can not be said, else you'll be punished, is the path towards "1984" or "Brave New World".

Goodspeak and Badspeak.
Non-liberty.

Last edited by rrrrrroger; 02-04-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If we weren't allowed to say anything that could be "offensive" to someone we would be living in a world of silence.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
JRCaesar:

The forums moderators have obviously made a decision to allow the use of such a word, mostly because the underlying context was still in good taste and did not stray from the intended purpose of the forum where the post appeared.

Now, perhaps the initial poster could have made a better choice and used an alternate word. But while that was a possibility then, it certainly is not now. With that said, I believe many of us are mature and intelligent enough to exercise and uphold a good level of community respect without also falling victim to the pitfalls of excessive political correctness.

What do you think?

Cheers;

MSantos
What do we think, you ask?

I think this forum / thread, for the most part, is a prime example of mature and intelligent intercourse ... which, in my dictionary, is defined as "dealings or communications between persons or groups" ....

It's a sad day when people rush to judgment and somehow assume that a particular word / the use of a particular word "automatically" has to suggest the most negative, possible "meaning" associated with that word.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by Son of Gloin 01
I think this forum / thread, for the most part, is a prime example of mature and intelligent intercourse...
I thought Intercourse was a four-letter word, ending in "k".

-- Alan

(talk)