Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

more likely yes, because the word was used on the green hybrid message board? no.

get real.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My 2 cents.

Yes that word was not essential to the point.

Still, I think you are being oversensitive.

Men get raped too, BTW.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
HypoFueler

I am glad we live in a nation with mostly free speech.....

American Heritage Dictionary
n.
The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
To seize and carry off by force.
To plunder or pillage.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am going to have to chime in here. Mainly because I was PM'd on this topic.

It would have been nice if the original poster used another word to express his dissatisfaction of his dealer. Truth of the matter is he did not. At the same time I do not believe it was the intent that the original poster meant he was "" in his car, around his car, or by his car. He simply meant or felt he was taken advantage of by the dealer because the car he choose had a "hybrid" name attached to it.

In some aspects to the argument I would agree that Hybrids should not cost more than the top of the line version of the same car line. (Civic EX with Leather Interior starts @ $19,500.00). I know the hybrid had some features that are not found on other models but simply put, it is a Civic with a smaller engine and a battery pack.....

If the moderator of the board could "edit" the poster's word to another word that would convey the same contextual meaning CAN the moderator delete this thread PLEASE?

I hope I speak for most here that this particular thread should NOT be here.

Thank you,

PS: To the person who PM'd me, please do not include me on this kind of topic again. I really did not want to make a comment on this thread, I knew when it opened and have read what others have said, but I really do/did not want to be part of this type of discussion. Please respect my privacy on this subject matter.

** For people out there that have been victims of this type of horrendous crime I do feel for you. It is tragic and traumatic crime that causes great pain for those who are victims and their families. My heart goes out to any victim that has had this happen to them. **

Last edited by arbittan; 01-25-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

If we're going to debate the various and sundry meanings of the word "rape" (which, coincidentally, is used in the 'loot and pillage' context in both history texts as well as modern musicals), why not also bring a moment of levity to the situation and debate the usage of the word "f*ck". To assist those not well-versed in the usage of the English language, I present this video (though if you're at the office, I suggest turning your speakers way down or using headphones)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPlfDIcjrVI

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Hmpph. I thought that trading in a V8 for a hybrid was enough of a contribution for me to political correctness...

Perhaps something along the lines of this can be put into the posting guidelines:

We Operators of this website pledge to use our best efforts to take effective measures to create a healthy and civilized environment and to assist the users, especially the teenagers to use the Internet in a healthy manner.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I guess we are that stupid, the thread title got changed. I guees it is not that surprising for this board. To be honest I thought collectively we were more intelligent than this.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sungod18
I never saw any fine print demanding sweet talk used when I joined the site. I question your use of the word educated. Do you mean strictly just having enough sense to buy a more efficient car, or level of taught instruction?

Perhaps I'm alone here as just a northeastern redneck who keeps hospital equipment running and coach little kids part time. I don't think being educated means just not using select words, I would say it's more knowing what context to us them in. I think most others below seem to agree on the context of the word.

Besides, I feel my credentials shine whenever I pass an (Insert choice of V8+ guzzler)

This has nothing to do with the original post....I just had to laugh when I saw "northeastern redneck". I consider my self an educated redneck from West Texas....I always thought rednecks where restricted to the South (and a bit west!) Welcome to the family! (uh, somebody could make a good redneck joke from that last line, but somebody else would surley be offended!)

Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

well, since the door was opened.....I'm offended by the interchangeability of **** & German. Being of Bavarian descent, I just want people to realize all Germans were not ****'s and all ***** were not German.
it's my opinion that contextually rape is fine is you feel like you got plundered by the dealer. people are weird, different words set people off. I think it's fine if you are upset by whatever word be it rape or pillage or retarded or dork. I'll be upset by something at some point. And I'll make a statement about it more than likely.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scuddy
well, since the door was opened.....I'm offended by the interchangeability of **** & German. Being of Bavarian descent, I just want people to realize all Germans were not ****'s and all ***** were not German.
it's my opinion that contextually rape is fine is you feel like you got plundered by the dealer. people are weird, different words set people off. I think it's fine if you are upset by whatever word be it rape or pillage or retarded or dork. I'll be upset by something at some point. And I'll make a statement about it more than likely.

I'm offended that someone of Bavarian desent didn't offer us a beer. But that too would be a generality....I suppose not all Bavarian's like beer.

Here's my 2 cents..."raped" probably a bad choice of words, but that doesn't make the poster a bad person. I don't want my kids reading stuff like that, so I'll watch what they do on the internet. As for myself, if I'm offened by a thread, I'll skip that thread. If I read a thread and can determine the context, then OK. If I'm not sure, I go on.

Quick Reply: Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands