Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Stuff I don't like and other grumblings...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned
Default Slight Tangent on Autostop

This is momentarily getting off topic of the GM Silverado has autostop, but not a true hybrid. This feature would save a lot of gas in urban areas and possibly reduce ozone action days. The new Saturn is supposed to have a limited EV mode called "electronic creep". I'd love my Honda to have that in bumper-to-bumper traffic so my fuel economy would not sink.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Stuff I don't like and other grumblings...

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Personally, I think EVERY conventional vehicle should be upgraded to BAS/FAS. I think the term "Intelligent Start Stop" would be a better term for this type of system than "Hybrid".

And why not? if it adds 3-4 MPG for under $1000 in hardware and reduces emissions, you'd think every car manufacturer would want it. The other perk of BAS-FAS is being able to furnish a couple of standard power outlets (for laptops or power tools). It would be a great improvement on the conventional vehicle.

I just wouldn't call it a Hybrid.
I've wondered that for some time.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Engineering first

Term I'd like to see is "Electric Idle." It has the cache of modern 'electricity' with the appropriate scope. Best of all, the higher voltages and integrated MG makes adding 'emergency power' or 'built-in generator' a no-brainer. My first mod to my Prius was to add 110 VAC inverter on the 12 VDC system and we've already had occasion to use it.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Oh, gawd, stop it! Lakeduke was looking for less acronyms, and now you guys are making up more!!

Old 04-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Banned
Default Create a Glossary

Originally Posted by toast64
Oh, gawd, stop it! Lakeduke was looking for less acronyms, and now you guys are making up more!!
Suggestion: Setup a glossary if you are going to throw acronyms at us. After all you want to be understood, don't you?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Create a Glossary

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Suggestion: Setup a glossary if you are going to throw acronyms at us. After all you want to be understood, don't you?
OGAWSIT - Oh, gawd, stop it!
LOLA - looking for less acronyms
MAKUM - making up more!!

Bob Wilson - Boring ordinary boy. Where idiots love silliness or nuts.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

The terms "FULL HYBRID" and "MILD HYBRID" were thought up by some of the few ULTRASMUG Prius owners. They did it to show they are better than the Honda hybrid owners - sort of a one up "I'm better than you thing". Actually I haven't heard those terms in about a year and a half or so.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by rigger
The terms "FULL HYBRID" and "MILD HYBRID" were thought up by some of the few ULTRASMUG Prius owners. They did it to show they are better than the Honda hybrid owners - sort of a one up "I'm better than you thing". Actually I haven't heard those terms in about a year and a half or so.

And yet it's used by the EPA to describe the IMA and HSD systems in their graphic "tutorial" to explain how the systems work. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridtech.shtml

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

It was called a "joke".....go on you can say it...."joe-ke". Sorry, that may be harsh. I'll try not to joke around "full hybrid" and Michigan people anymore.

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
And yet it's used by the EPA to describe the IMA and HSD systems in their graphic "tutorial" to explain how the systems work. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridtech.shtml

Last edited by rigger; 04-21-2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: trying to play nice, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rigger
It was called a "joke".....go on you can say it...."joe-ke". Sorry, that may be harsh. I'll try not to joke around "full hybrid" and Michigan people anymore.
It's called a smiley face. go on and say it... "smi-ley--face". They are conveniently located on the right hand side of your edit screen.

Just kiddin', rigger - couldn't resist.

Last edited by toast64; 04-22-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Stuff I don't like and other grumblings...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands