Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Serious criticisms of Inconvenient Truth . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: Serious criticisms of Inconvenient Truth . . .

Bob,
The Creation"Science" folks claim there isn't any "proof", but there is loads of proof,they just choose to ignore it.Give a bacteria some antibiotics,and you see evolution/selection in action in a time scale everyone can appreciate(hours).
Long term climate prediction can't say the same.Now it isn't their "fault" that it takes so long to be proven right or wrong; it just is the nature of long term-30-50-100 years.
I think you are right about(if that is what you meant) nuclear power plants being chosen as a quick and dirty partial solution to our energy problems. There isn't going to be much choice since we are running out of cheap buried hydrocarbons(except coal) alternative energy-solar,wind,Biomass just isn't be pushed hard enough.I'm not as pessimistic about the downside as you are. Of course there will be nuke power plant failures-already have been, however I don't think they will be the catastrophic events that Chernobyl(sic??) was.
Besides, even if they were nearly as bad as Cher, it isn't as if the coal fired plants haven't been responsible for lots of deaths.In this country if you counted all the deaths that are attributed to coal fired plants, you would have a VERY LONG(MAYBE MILLIONS-DEPENDING ON HOW,WHO YOU COUNT) list. They are responsible for lots of lost years of life on the upper(old folks) and lower(infants,kids with resp problems) ends.They still kill 10 or so minors a year from cave ins, explosions,and thousands of minors from black lung.Yes, getting nuke fuel-hardrock mining usually-isn't benign either, but not as bad as coal.
Your old state-Oklahoma- has gotten the jump on a lot of states with that wind farm outside Weatherford OK. It stretches for MILES-MAYBE 5-10-on either side of I-40.There must be well over 100 turbines(over 1 megawatts produced per hour each probably).You really can't get much cleaner than wind.They occasionally kill a bird, but if it is in a flyway, they can play predator calls or some such.
I would literally pay to see one up close;they are impressive.TX has some also-on I-10 about 100 miles E of El Paso(80 mph speed limit also-the old Suburban would siphon my wallet dry if I drove 80mph.It gets maybe 20 mpg at 61 mph, but it might drop to 12 at 80mph(forget that).)
Charlie..
Charlie

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Serious criticisms of Inconvenient Truth . . .

and the obvious one is atomic power. The best and safest approach to it will fail at some point, and even if it doesn't we have a waste disposal problem. Then we will see who or what emerges as a dominate species.
The problem is we are just the USA. France, Germany, Russia, China etc.. Have all embraced Nukes which is why they were so willing to embrace Kyoto (stabs us in the back economicaly). The USA is very dependent on oil and gas for power and modern industrial nations require large amounts of power. So we can fall on a sword and watch while all the others adopt nukes while we go the way of Rome. Or we can perfect nuclear power and the hydrogen economy.