Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Leather in Cars is....
Yes, a nice touch
47.17%
No thank you, don't like the thought of animal hide used
7.55%
No, other reasons
33.96%
Indifferent
11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Leather in Cars....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Leather in Cars....

i am on the don't-like-the-feel-of-leather boat. hot in a bad way.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Leather good.

Leather is much easier to clean and maintain than fabric, especially grippy microfiber fabric like the Prius has. Sure the Prius fabric is nice and it does resist stain, but it has a grain and shows grain shadows really easily. I'm not very fond of that.

Yes, I agree, they can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but notice how leather assumes your body temperature in a short period of time and becomes comfortable. Now, if you want a terrible seat covering, try vinyl. Vinyl stays hot in the summer and stays cold in the winter and takes a very long time to assume your body temperature.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I've got leather, neoprene and cloth covered seats. Leather is my least favorite next to vinyl which as JeromeP says is a "terrible seat covering". Got that right!

BTW: My truck has water proof neoprene "Wet Okole's" for soggy bottom boys (fresh out of the lake).

Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nope, I hate leather interiors as well. It's just too hot to put up with them down here in Texas. My folks have leather in their VUE. Not surprisingly, they have the requisite seat heaters installed, as they live in Colorado. Thanks, but no thanks, I can get the same freeze/burn cycles out of a crappy vinyl interior for free. I was thrilled when I found a FEH in the DFW area that had the NAV/hybrid computer, and no leather interior. Cloth rules in comfort.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

Leather is really creepy. Like **** lampshades.

The genetic distance between people and cows is similar to the genetic distance between people and dogs. What would people say to a car interior, shoes, belts, coats, etc. made from dog skin?

Last edited by arugula; 12-02-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, but how many people that have a disdain for leather seats also own other leather items? Belts, shoes, wallets, furniture, jackets, etc...

Old 12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arugula
....The genetic distance between people and cows is similar to the genetic distance between people and dogs. What would people say to a car interior, shoes, belts, coats, etc. made from dog skin?
Confession: I was wondering if a significant part of the GH population extended their hybrid interest to enviromental and animal welfare issues. My initial guess is leather would not sell as well in hybrids as conventional vehicles. While I do eat meat and wear leather belts, I personally prefer minimumize putting demands on livestock animals - another reason those monster truck Texan drivers hate me.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Confession: I was wondering if a significant part of the GH population extended their hybrid interest to enviromental and animal welfare issues. My initial guess is leather would not sell as well in hybrids as conventional vehicles. While I do eat meat and wear leather belts, I personally prefer minimumize putting demands on livestock animals - another reason those monster truck Texan drivers hate me.
About 11% of the population has environmentally correct tendencies, but veg*nism prevalence is more like 2-3%. I would expect that radical vegans would be more likely to walk, bike, or use public transport rather than buy a new $20K plus vehicle with an embedded energy equivalent to 2200 gallons of gas.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has written that eating meat is #2 in environmental impact after transportation. There are also some papers on the environmental impact of meat in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, one of which is by Pimentel.

It might be possible for some people to make a bigger adverse impact due to their diets rather than from their driving habits.

Food processing and food transport are also important, as is staying thin. Fewer kcals, locally grown, low on the food chain are best.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Nope, I hate leather interiors as well. It's just too hot to put up with them down here in Texas. My folks have leather in their VUE. Not surprisingly, they have the requisite seat heaters installed, as they live in Colorado. Thanks, but no thanks, I can get the same freeze/burn cycles out of a crappy vinyl interior for free. I was thrilled when I found a FEH in the DFW area that had the NAV/hybrid computer, and no leather interior. Cloth rules in comfort.
I agree about the comfort. Not only does it get too hot and too cold, when you're on a long road trip, the leather begins to feel like you're sitting on a rock because there's no give. I'm sticking to cloth seats. Screw the animals, leather just isn't comfortable.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Enthusiastically Active

Had black leather seats in my old integra and loved it most of the time... it did tend to get hot/cold in temperature extremes, but it was comfortable, breathable, and much easier to clean than the fabric seats I've had. I wish the auto industry would try harder to come up with synthetic fabrics that do all of the above. I loved the fabric seats in my dearly departed Honda Element.... stain-proof, water-proof, and very comfortable.... probably weren't the most stylish, however. As an architect, I know that there are many technical fabrics out there that are commonly used on commercial furniture upholstry, and look as good as leather, but perform much better. I'm not sure why the auto industry is so far behind.

Quick Reply: Leather in Cars....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands