Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Flashing High-Beams Sparingly...
Is proper use - avoids road rage
76.00%
Should be used more frequently
24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Flashing High-Beams Sparingly...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Flashing High-Beams Sparingly...

If you're driving in the left lane, and a vehicle approaches you from the rear, it's appropriate for the approaching vehicle to flash it's highbeams to signal it's intent to want to pass. The car being overtaken should move over into the right lane. (although, you shouldn't be travelling in the left lane anyways as it's a passing lane)

If you're driving down a road, and an oncoming car flashes at you once, it generally means he thinks you may have your highbeams on.

If you're driving down a road, and an oncoming car flashes at you several times, it generally means there's a speed trap up ahead.

High beams should NOT be used for road-rage. Even if another vehicle cuts you off. Maybe beeping the horn when there's a vehicle that's changing lanes right in front of you and you suspect they might not have checked to see you in their blind spot, just as a mere reminder that it's unsafe to change lanes. But laying on the horn just incites hostility.

Yes, highbeams and horns have their use in emergencies, but they're also tools to use to signal your intentions (or the other driver's lack of attention) to another vehicle. There are many other situations where the use of highbeams or horns can be positively used. I don't know them all, as situations constantly change due to details. But I do know one thing, it's lunch time and I'm going to go make a sandwich now.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You're on the mark Archslater. When taking a road trip, especially at night, I will flash my high beams at the passing truck to let him know he is clear and can come over. Most truckers will flash their running lights as a thank you in return. I can thank a truck driving uncle for this from many years ago.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by abowles
You're on the mark Archslater. When taking a road trip, especially at night, I will flash my high beams at the passing truck to let him know he is clear and can come over. Most truckers will flash their running lights as a thank you in return. I can thank a truck driving uncle for this from many years ago.
i have used this a lot when i used to take long driving trips out west. they always seemed to appreciate it.

when i say that i blink the highs, i don't mean that i do it when i am coming up behind someone. i drive home the country roads a lot, and generally i will flick them if someone approaching me has forgotten to lower his, not uncommon when you don't meet a lot of cars on your trip.

when i spoke above of flashing someone with a lot of lights who is coming toward me, it is because his lights are so darn bright that i think he may have his brights on. sometimes it's really hard to tell. and that's my gripe, so many lights.....chuck, i am not an aggressive driver, i just get tired of squinting sometimes......

Old 12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

laurie, I know you are not an agressive driver.

While I acknowledge constructive uses of signaling the high-beams, it's been the exception in my driving experiences...

Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Vegetarian

how 'bout flashing your lights at someone when it's dark and they don't have theirs on, yikes! i had to do that the other day.

got flashed at earlier this month when accelerating after a red light. i thought that was dumb. no one's up to speed yet. don't get mad because i'm not getting there as crazy fast as you want to. oi. i generally get kinda mad when people flash me. they think i'm being stupid? well i think they are too. though other times i plan on getting out of the way anyway, they just flash to quickly.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I grew up in a rural area, it is common practice to flash your high-beams when an oncoming car has forgot to turn his high beams off. It isn't considered "road rage" unless you turn them on at the oncoming driver and leave them on.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
They are commonly used by truckers in the U.S. to signal ok to pass, or come over. Most automobile drivers in the U.S. just haven't caught on.
Yeup, I agree this is a case of safety. I've seen it and have never taken offense to this. I know when it's done out of stupidity by the other driver.

The other case that I use them is to warn of a speed trap. There are some that think this in itself is bad but I have yet to see a valid speed trap.

Where I live there is an exit off the highway that is 3 lanes wide for 2 miles... guess what the speed limit is. 40mph. Tell me that's not put there for speed traps?

Last edited by livvie; 12-08-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:59 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by bar10dah
If you're driving in the left lane, and a vehicle approaches you from the rear, it's appropriate for the approaching vehicle to flash it's highbeams to signal it's intent to want to pass. The car being overtaken should move over into the right lane. (although, you shouldn't be travelling in the left lane anyways as it's a passing lane)
Actually, passing lane is a misnomer. All lanes can be used as passing lanes in most states. However, the far left hand lane is technically the emergency vehicle lane. Flashing your lights to signal the driver to pull into a slower lane should only be reserved for official police/emergency vehicles. In MA, its considered road rage to ride someones bumper while flashing highs on the freeway and you can get ticketed for it.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by livvie
The other case that I use them is to warn of a speed trap. There are some that think this in itself is bad but I have yet to see a valid speed trap.
i thought it was illegal to do that.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:05 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Flashing High-Beams Sparingly...

I would make additional comment or comments but after reading all the other Post on this thread it really seems to me that for the most part it has all been said, if not a number of times now.

Terry

BTW; Interesting Thread:

Quick Reply: Flashing High-Beams Sparingly...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands