Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Compact fluorescent Light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Compact fluorescent Light bulbs?

The biggest problem with these I've had is *color*. They have been kind of blue for my taste. However, I just got some that are a warmer color.

BTW, I have a fish tank and have used these for years. I have some that are on their for 2+ years (they are long tubes vs bulbs actually-- but they are compact florescent). They produce a LOT of light with 92 watts, and the corals are happy.

I am also happy with the newer bulbs I bought.

--des

Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The one thing I hear people complain about most when it comes to CFLs, particularly my mother, is that one second delay between flipping the switch and the light coming on. I know it's not what most of the posters here are used to, but I find it difficult to think of it as a very big deal. When I consider how spoiled we are in terms of light, to the extent that we take for granted the idea that we should have instant light all the time no matter what, and I compare that to so many people around the world who might get a few hours of electricity per day, or have no access to light other than fires after sunset at all, it really puts miniscule issues like a one second delay into perspective.

While I am thinking of it, actually, who here has heard of BoGo Light? It's a charity that I heard about a few months ago in the New York Times, and they donate and distribute solar powered LED flashlights with rechargeable batteries that will last for years to people in the developing world, mostly Africa. They give them to people who would otherwise have no way of reading at night, seeing their way in the dark, or dealing with all kinds of daily necessities and emergencies. You can also buy the flashlights yourselves, if you're interested, and they'll donate one on your behalf, free, for each one you buy. Here's the link to their information page: http://bogolight.com/learnMore.php

I encourage you to check it out: if you're interested in saving energy in your lights around the home, a BoGo Light that will replace your existing flashlight will save you energy and money for batteries, reduces battery waste disposal, and lets you be charitable at the same time.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I remember when all electronics were tube type- you had to wait for your TV, radio, etc to warm up before it would work. Tube equipment power consumption is opposite of CFL's - that is it is very high while CFL is very low.

The Bogo light reminds me of flashlights I bought at Fry's electronics last Christmas. It wasn't solar, but crank power, and works with 3 focused high power LED's. A 3 minute continuous crank provides about 15 minutes of light.

I don't know about the BoGo lights, but these LED's are blue. I find it hard on my eyes to read with the blue lights. I certainly couldn't read a book but is great for everything else.

I believe I paid around $12 for each. I bought 3 for the kids, they are all still working. I'm "sold" on them and will never buy a conventional flashlight again.

I also looked at an alternative to CFL's for my home, with the LED bulbs.
Granted they should last decades before burning out, I wish they didn't cost so much. Perhaps someday the cost will come down.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Compact fluorescent Light bulbs?

I replaced all of my 40 and 60 watt bulbs (about 20 bulbs in total) with CFL's about 6 months ago. No problems so far. I was able to get a great deal on the 40 watt bulbs. A local supermarket back in April for Earth Day was selling them 10 for $10. At that price it was a no brainer to switch them all out. (However. it did take three months to cash the rain check as they were sold out for awhile.)

The one bathroom fixure I replaced had 8 - 40 watt bulbs that used 320 watts each time it was turned on. Now I have 8 CFL's that only use a total of 72 watts. That is a big difference. (It did cost me $30 to replace them as they were a special shape.) I keep all the old bulbs in a box in my attic. I will swap out all the fixtures with the originals when I move.

Being Green is not relegated to just the Hybrid.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I'm still researching but did find one possible explanation.

I have 3 of the exposed coil lights and they have worked fine outside and in lamps. The ones that have failed are the floodlamp style with the coil covered by a traditional bulb. They are used in recessed ceiling lights.

Seems that CFLs like some amount of ventilation and don't like getting too hot. I suspect the recessed ceiling pods are retaining the heat, shortening the lifespan. If that's the case I'm probably not going to stick with the CFLs in that application.

It's possible that an exposed coil CFL would fair better but the wife would overrule that.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have 9 CFLs which are of the floodlight style, in recessed ceiling fixtures in my kitchen. They now have 4 years of service on them, and the only failure I have had is that one of the covers fell off one of the lamps. It was held on with what looked like caulking compound.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Engineering first

Perhaps it is time to 'open up' some of the failed and same-lot, non-failed units and see what chips are being used?

Bob Wilson