Trying to decide, Altima or Prius - Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trying to decide, Altima or Prius - Please help!!

Originally Posted by Ian33
The Prius lacks the horsepower of the NAH and you can tell. The Prius has a very quirky bladder filled gas tank that can cause all kinds of headaches while the NAH has a standard tank and 20 gallons to boot. Every Prius or Camry hybrid I have test driven have had harder times going to EV mode. This may be my driving, but the NAH seems much easier.
As a Prius owner (my mom owns an 07 NAH), I can definitely say that the NAH has a hell of a lot more power.

As for the bladder fuel tank on the Prius, yes, it's quirky, as for "all kinds of headaches", I totally disagree. Just fill it up and don't worry about it. Just don't top it off and try forcing more gas in there. Many Priuschat members have discovered doing so can cause a ton of gas to squirt back out. A few have talked about damage from doing this.

I agree on the last point. The NAH seems a lot more aggressive into going to into EV mode/cutting the ICE than the Prius.

The OP might be able to get a pretty good deal on the NAH given that they seem to be moving (off the lot) a lot more slowly than the Prius per http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/artic...e-Smartest-Buy (disregard the rest of the article). Also the NAH is eligible for a $2350 tax credit per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml if the OP isn't subject to AMT vs. $0 on all Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

FWIW, if my HOV lane sticker equipped 06 Prius somehow got totaled, I'd probably replace it w/either a used Prius w/HOV stickers or consider a new HyCam or NAH.

Last edited by cwerdna; 06-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steved28
This is more a question than a comment. I have read that the Prius only stays in EV mode up to 25mph. Is this still true or was this a limit in earlier models?
Not true. The max speed you can be in EV only is 42 mph. At least that's true of the current gen.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

One of my biggest concerns, honestly, is getting plowed into by a 16 year old kid. My husband and I just saw a horrific crash a few days ago... 19 year old girl drunk out of her mind. We are giving up 15 MPG for a higher crash rating.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
One of my biggest concerns, honestly, is getting plowed into by a 16 year old kid. My husband and I just saw a horrific crash a few days ago... 19 year old girl drunk out of her mind. We are giving up 15 MPG for a higher crash rating.

So you are going with the NAH? You can not live in fear. You can not buy in fear either. You can do far more to reduce your risk of having an accident by practicing good Defensive Driving Techniques. Things like, Don't Tailgate, Don't pull up to the cars bumper in front of you at a red light, Drive Slower, Drive Smarter, Wear Seat Belts, Don't drive in the hours after the bars close. Don't drive at dusk or twilight.

Drive the safest car in the world recklessly and you'll still get killed.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrendelKhan
Put it in neutral just before the engine comes on, and the engine will stay off even if your speed increases. Just remember that you'll only have friction brakes in neutral. So, put it back in D if you want your brakes to regen.

Don't get me wrong, I hypermile like crazy even to the ire of my fellow motorists. There isn't a hill around me that I don't "freewheel" (throw it in neutral) on. Not just steep hills, but slight hills too.

I don't drive faster than 60 and try to keep it under 40 when ever I can. I just feel that the automatic cut out is a safety measure they put in to protect the battery, but should be improved on because some hills I am going down I can only freewheel around 40, but if I could push it to 45-50 on the way down, I could crest the up hill without even putting it in gear again.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLP24
So you are going with the NAH? You can not live in fear. You can not buy in fear either. You can do far more to reduce your risk of having an accident by practicing good Defensive Driving Techniques. Things like, Don't Tailgate, Don't pull up to the cars bumper in front of you at a red light, Drive Slower, Drive Smarter, Wear Seat Belts, Don't drive in the hours after the bars close. Don't drive at dusk or twilight.

Drive the safest car in the world recklessly and you'll still get killed.
a lots of time isn't u drive better then u won't get accident is also how other people drive... like SHE said "the 19 year old girl drunk out of her mind" so do i chose the NAH then civic or prius for safty reason for my 11 month baby

Old 07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

You shouldn't type drunk either.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

@ steved28

@ Townboy No One can make a choice for you because then when something goes wrong you will blame that person who decided for you.

You / She has to weight the options and ultimately make the decision that best suits you/she. I think we have all given a lot of useful info here, but from what I hear, it might be a bit too late as word on the street is that all the hybrids are gone. I don't know if its true or just more media hype, but with all the SUV's I see on the front laws for sale around here, I'd have to think it will be harder to get now.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Marianne was one of the first NAH owners to join this forum.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

@Ian33: Wasn't sure what your point was, but I now see. I confused Marianne with the OP as Mairanne does not show any car in her profile I though she was till asking and not buying.

@Marianne Your one of the first? Congrats, but we need to beef up your profile. Show your colors so to speak.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide, Altima or Prius - Please help!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands