snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: snow performance

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
Eph, how are the ultra grips doing? Any change in the dry traction/handling?
Love 'em. Awesome traction. Was told the police cars all use them in my area.

Have them at 44psi.

Eph

Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I will probably need new tires within the next year. I have had so many flats and even the dealer fixed one with a plug. I think plugs are the quick fix and will eventually wear down, putting the wheel out of balance. Can't believe they charged $30.00 for a plug.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

$30 is a rip off, you can easily buy yourself a tire plugging kit for $15. I think you can probably plug a tire safely for a few years

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I did just that. Went to WalMart and bought a kit which included the ice pick file, the plug insertion tool and 3 plugs for $6.48
I figured that if the dealer will use plugs, why should I pay $30.00

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Ive got a 07 NAH with 27K miles on it. Last winter we had a lot of trouble getting out of the driveway (slight slope) if it was icy or smooth packed snow. The drive wheels would only go at about 3 miles per hour while slipping due to the electric motor not being responsive to throttle position. This winter I sprung for 4 Blizzaks on steel wheels. Have had zero problems with them mounted. I did not note any mileaage impact

Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hello NAH owners... Can we revisit this performance on snow question. I live out here in Portland, OR and am strongly considering an '09 NAH. My concern is that I love skiing up on Mt. Hood, where it can get snowy. Anyone out there have experience trying to use a city car (the NAH) up on snowy mountainy roads? I'll definitely put on the snow tires.

Also, as a side note, I saw yesterday that Nissan is ditching the NAH for 2012. How do you think that will impact their value or the ability to get them repaired?

Thanks for any info!
Susan

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Have taken my NAH numerous times up to Tahoe and other part sof the sierra with snow on the road and it has performed fine. Mind you I am not running the stock Continentas but Bridgestone Grid-019's which in my experience have given me better handling an traction. Mileage took a little ding, but not enough for me to mind.

As for the end of the NAH for 2012, I don't say any major issues for the standard life of these vehicles, say 10 years /150k or something but beyond that, its probably a crap-shoot.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ed, this is just the kind of info I am looking for. I usually get much sportier cars and am giving up an 05 Toyota Highlander 4WD (16mpg) because the mileage is killing me but its a great multi-use car. I was wondering how bummed I would be when I tried to go skiing. The loss of the 4WD and the small trunk are the challenges, but it looks like there are 2 choices in cars right now: big guzzlers that get 17-20, or tiny pixies that can get 25-27 but wouldn't be very comfortable on any kind of a longer trip.

Have you enjoyed your ALtima overall?

Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Overall have enjoyed the car and the mileage it provides. While not as sporty as my S2000 nor as luxurious as my TL, the overall drive is fine,and I dont miss the much except the heated leather seats (I did update to heated folding side mirrors though)

In your case though I would think the biggest thing you may miss will be space. If utility is a top concern, I'd seriously consider a Prius. BUt in my case, we just live with less space (its far bigger than our S2000 trunk, and we dealt with that so...)

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

I tried it on just average winter day with factory tires and replacement, so terrible both times. Would suggest buying a winter rat for the snowy days. Only almost died a few times.