ScanGauge with NAH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default ScanGauge with NAH?

OK - I'm addicted.
I just got my NAH a couple weeks ago, and only have 300 miles on it. But, I'm already reading ecomodder.com and other hypermiling sites.

One of the things that people seem to talk about a lot on the hypermiler sites is this ScanGauge unit .

From what I understand, it allows you to really manage your throttle position better, potentially increasing your fuel efficiency quite well. I know it will take a while to pay for itself. But, this IS a bit of an obsession now for me...

Has anyone tried this unit with the NAH?

Thanks!
Eph

Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ScanGauge with NAH?

Yep. Use it all the time. I like it. It helps.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrendelKhan
Yep. Use it all the time. I like it. It helps.
Thanks for responding. Can you be more specific? What feedback does it give that you are monitoring and which is helping with FE?

I don't like the instantaneous mpg meter on the NAH. The bar graph is not very accurate, IMHO. But, not sure a digital readout would buy me much more. Do you use the throttle reading to determine driving habits?

Also, is the OBDI connector right under the steering wheel?
Do you have a pic you can post of what it looks like mounted?

Thanks!
Eph

Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

No sweat. I'll try to take a pic this weekend, but I'll have to find the camera first. The OBD2 connector is under the steering wheel but down near the bottom of the plastic (towards your feet). I put the cable thru behind the plastic and then out thru where the steering column comes out, and wrapped around the steering column, and velcroed on top of the steering column. This keeps the cable mostly out of view, and enables easy viewing just below the line of sight of the bar graph.

The bar graph (instantaneous mpg) is useful when using a ScanGauge if you put the ScanGauge on "averageMPG". I've got the base model, so I don't have any access to any other computer thingies other than that. For driving around town, I mostly use the "averageMPG" for the trip, or what's called "Current". For highway driving, I've been displaying some of the gauges, mostly watching the "IGN", to try to find the "Super Highway Mode" as discussed on CleanMPG.com.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey - thanks for the reference to the cleanmpg.com listing on SHM. Here is the link for others that may be interested. Post #8 in the thread.

Have you deterimined what the "optimal operating parameters" (IGN range) are for SHM for the NAH? Would save me some time, if you can share.

Thanks again!
Eph

Last edited by cephraim; 07-18-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

No, I haven't, but I spend hardly any time on the highway these days. I've only just begun to dabble with this. But from what I've seen, it's near 28 IGN for the speeds I drive (perhaps admitting more than I should...).

If you read the thread over at CleanMPG on Super Highway Mode, it seems the Prius likes 14 IGN. Somewhere in that thread is something about 28 (or 14+14, or maybe 2*14) but I had trouble following the discussion, and haven't really been able to figure out what that was about. But if they were talking about other cars, then the 28 for me (and you) makes sense.

What are your tires at? If you're looking to best your mileage, consider going to "max" sidewall, at least.

Last edited by GrendelKhan; 07-19-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah - this stuff is confusing, for sure.
Is that 28 IGN at highway speeds for you? Or, back roads? What speed does that seem to work best at?

I've got my tires at 42psi. You?

Thanks,
Eph

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

Highway speeds, not back roads. On back roads I put it on AverageMPG, and just try to keep it high. Don't know what speed it works best at, but from what I've seen it seems a bit counter-intuitive as I think I'm doing better at 60-65 than I am at 50-55. But maybe I'm just doing something wrong...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrendelKhan
Highway speeds, not back roads. On back roads I put it on AverageMPG, and just try to keep it high. Don't know what speed it works best at, but from what I've seen it seems a bit counter-intuitive as I think I'm doing better at 60-65 than I am at 50-55. But maybe I'm just doing something wrong...

I tend to get horrid gas mileage right around 47mph. 62mph with cruise on does wonders to my NAH - easily hits 40+MPG for 50 mile trips in a somewhat flat area @ 60F... Go figure