Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Just bought one couple of days, got a great deal on 2008 clean up with low miles(2k) on it. I made a huge blunder of not going thru the numbers in the panel, yesterday I noticed that the avg mpg is showing as 27.9 - 24.7...I kinda scared now, just hoping I'm not going to end up with this mpg...currently in pursuit of clocking the mpg, so keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited by back2grave; 03-23-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello and Welcome,

Make sure you reset the MPG computer and also be sure to check your tires. Your mpg should improve with warmer weather if all else is well.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

The AVG MPG display can be reset, so you don't really know what time period it represented when you looked at it. If it was on a dealers lot, they could have had it idling a lot in the cold which would drop the MPG #'s. Reset it yourself and drive it for a bit. My mileage is improving now that temps are above freezing.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Appreciate ur inputs @ ht_dave. I was under the impression that the AVG MPG can't be reset. I really need to browse thru the manual. I live in CA, so hoping the sunny weather would jump start the MPG. Thnx for the pointers again.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Both the MPG/MPH and the Time/Miles counters can be reset. There are two buttons to the left of the wheel, the left one cycles through the screens. If you hold the right one while on the MPG/MPH or Time/Miles display, it will reset.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

sweet....thnx a lot again

Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

Altima Hybrid here. Driving in Orange County. 95% stop and go traffic.

My mileage is 27mpg when I just drive regular.... or 30mpg flat when "hypermiling." I may not be the best hyper-miler, but I have tried every technique I have read about for about a year now with no improvement. The ONLY thing that might console me is that my commute is 6 miles.

Im pissed off everytime I calculate my mileage.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpgonzalez

My mileage is 27mpg when I just drive regular.... or 30mpg flat when "hypermiling." I may not be the best hyper-miler, but I have tried every technique I have read about for about a year now with no improvement. The ONLY thing that might console me is that my commute is 6 miles.

I understand. I have been disappointed with our mileage (it is about 2 mph better than indicated below due to cutting back freeway speeds to 65 mph). I attribute it to the going up and down some fairly steep grades.

I think the 6 mile commute is your main problem. I'm sure you've noticed that when the car is cold it takes 1 to 2 miles before it will operate in EV mode except at stop signs (assuming the heater is not on). The stop-and-go driving is also a problem for you. I notice that my best mileage results are flat driving at 45-55 mph without stop and go.

However, while envious of NAH folks with upper 30s and low 40s, I am still doing much better than we were with our previous 19 mpg premium burning Acura and love the car otherwise.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

What was the acura? A 4 or 6 cylinder?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpgonzalez

The 95% stop and go AND your 6 mile commute is what's killing your mileage. Lots of energy is being wasted accelerating and some energy is being lost as heat even w/regenerative braking. I believe in the last couple mph down to 0 (that's the way it is on the Prius), it'll switchover to the friction brakes as there isn't enough current coming from regen at that point. Also, in the stop and go, when your HV battery runs too low, the ICE must run which is pretty darned inefficient, considering how little distance you're covering.

You can see how the NAH did at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ient-cars-206/. Funny enough, they got 27 mpg in their city test. You can see it did better on the city test than every non-hybrid listed there except for the Smart ForTwo.

For reference, http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car..._test_fue.html and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...el-economy.htm discusses how they test fuel economy.

BTW, are you trying to accelerating on electric only? If so, don't do that. That's not necessarily the most efficient way to accelerate. Are you using the heater at all (or heat in auto mode)? If so, don't do it when your the ICE isn't warmed up yet. It'll tend to keep it running until the ICE gets hot enough, wasting gas (try it, you'll see what I mean). I'd suggest you turn it up to 90 then turn the fan off until either the ICE is warm enough or you're driving in a manner that would require the ICE anyway (>42 mph or hard acceleration).

It's too bad there don't seem to be many people on here w/Scanguage determining things like optimum engine RPM for efficiency, best throttle position to use, figuring out the stages of operation (like what's been done at http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledg...rence-aid.html and http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit...ive-stages.txt). I'm looking to buy a Scangauge myself once I can find a good deal (<$159) on one.

Last edited by cwerdna; 03-29-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands