Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Where can I find more information regarding hyper miling techniques?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Just checking in as a new NAH owner. I picked up an '08 w/ Tech Package almost a week ago. VERY HAPPY so far.

Dave

Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have one 2007 with 15K on it now. Best tank was 860 miles @ 39mpg...

Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibmsorcerer
I have one 2007 with 15K on it now. Best tank was 860 miles @ 39mpg...
um...that math doesn't seem right, do you mean 760 @ 39?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Langjie,
No, 860 miles... I ran it completely out of gas and then when I filled it back up, I put in 22 gallons... try it sometime...
The math is also correct (comes out to be 39.09) and so was the number of gallons... Don't ask me where the additional 2 gallons go, but they do go somewhere and it isn't the ground....
I won't try that again though...
If you are suggesting that, how can you put 22 gallons into the tank?
I have regularly put 20 into it and still wasn’t worried... because I could still see that the needle was still moving on the gas gauge. It is still usually above the last mark (empty) and empty is definitely below that mark.
I have quit taking it down that far though.
By the way, if you are worried about the difference in the number of gallons I can put in, it is not always at the same gas station that I put in the 20 gallons. So if the 20 gallons is wrong, then the State of California weights and measurements has to be in on the scam or I am just extremely unlucky.
Also if that is true then I must be getting much better mileage than what this web site says, I put in gallons, miles and let it calculate the mpg).

Here are my running tanks posted on this site.
mpg miles gallons
36.2 720 19.9
35.2 776 22.0 (Shell)
(changed driving to try for hypermileage & made sure tank was full to brim)

39.1 860 22.0 (76 station)
(followed that driving style and got this out of the tank, trying to find out where empty was)

31.2 447 14.3
36.0 680 18.9
37.1 757 19.9
36.6 592 16.2

33.9 548 16.1
(long distance trip mostly uphill and flat- San Jose to Yosemite and back, also ran the air most of the way)

40.5 546 13.5
32.0 465 14.5
29.7 580 19.5
38.6 690 17.9

I have about a 50.4 mile round trip to work daily. On good days it's about 30 minutes each way.
Normally I fill up 1 time every 12 days. I might still have the gas receipts.
The latest tanks I have stopped really trying to drive for mileage and haven't tried to fill it to the brim.

I presently have 5w-30 Mobil One oil in it.
I presently have a Fram TG6607 oil filter.
The oil filter is the heavy duty truck equivalent, as I figure the starting and stopping the engine often is harder on the engine.
I figure that is because I don't know if there is a cylinder of raw gas in there every time the engine is stopped and running on battery.
I don't know the air pressure in the tires, but it isn't high, it is normal and it might be 32psi.
I generally have the windows up.
I normally haven't had to use the air conditioner much, but it marginally does bring the mileage down.

My commute is mostly freeway and it is hilly (San Jose - Ca.85 and Interstate 280 near Palo Alto).
My commute is usually the same route both ways, but recently hasn't been exactly the same.
The hills might be helping me with the mileage some, but that only partly makes sense because you can't completely be going downhill both ways...
I usually have 3 places where I am driving at below 40mph because of traffic, it could be standing still.
I try to really pay attention to the traffic patterns when it is stop and go.
I want to do as little heavy acceleration and I do take a long time to accelerate.
I do also try to take advantage of the traffic when it is below 40mph and not rush up to the next piece of the backup.

When I did the 860 miles, I was not going over 60, there were no times that the car wasn't in gear (in other words not in neutral).
I tried to limit how hard I pushed on the accelerator pedal and tried to keep the KW gauge (tach) below horizontal.
This is very tough on this particular commute where some people are going well over 65.
No, I don't take corners at high speed.

When I started with the car I could only get about 36mpg and that was using the cruise control.
Now I can easily beat that by watching the instantaneous mpg, I try to back off the pedal and keep it over 40mpg and my average speed is about 62mph.
I try to keep a constant pressure on the pedal and will allow the speed to go anywhere between 55mph (uphill) and 70mph (downhill).
When I make it to 70, I will back off completely on the pedal and sometimes it is putting energy back into the battery.
Many times on my commute it can be going well over 40mpg, at sometimes reaching the max on it.
When I sorta try I can get the average mileage up to 42mpg on the commute in both directions.
City driving really pulls the mileage down quickly though.

Presently the average says 39.0 and I have gone 369.1 miles on this tank. The top edge of the needle on the fuel gauge lines up with the top of the little gas pump (meaning more than 1/2 tank left).

Now on my daily commute, I have made one small change in my driving because of circumstances. When I am almost at work, I have a pair of longish down hills which charge the battery up quite far. To take advantage of that, when I am stuck in traffic waiting for the light to change, I do put the car in neutral so it won't start the engine. When traffic starts moving again, I put it back in gear and only try to accelerate to 35mph on battery only because that is what the speed limit is there.

So if we go on the fact of 860 miles and then only say 20 gallons, then I got 43mpg. Either way I am quite happy, but this way leaves me pissed at the gas stations for ripping me off.

I can try to justify it to you and others though, to try to remove your skepticism.
Bruce

PS sorry for the longish append

Last edited by ibmsorcerer; 09-24-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

New owner, picked my '08 NAH up a couple of weeks ago, the first tank, from the dealer, yielded 35.6mpg/610miles. My typical trip is to work, 30miles each way 50/50 highway/side roads; so far on my second tank I'm averaging 36.9mpg.

-Bruce

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

ibmsorcerer...i'm not skeptical that you can get the mileage, i'm skeptical on the 22 gallons part. we've had members here who ran it to EV only mode and they only put in 20.002 gallons.

i was wondering, what does the computer readout say for mileage?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Usually about 1 mpg higher.
So if I can't put in 22 gallons, that is really making me angry. Sorta says that there are an awful lot of crooked gas stations out there and it makes it where I am not really reaping the benefits of what I paid for.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all- I have a 2007 in white with 20,400 miles on it.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought a 2008 NAH 10 days ago (Black interior and exterior, fully loaded)
I have 420 miles on it and am just below the 1/2 tank mark, the dash reads 37.3 MPG right now... of those miles about 200 were highway and the rest on roads that are mostly 40 miles per hour and below

My two main commutes are to work, which gets me about 36MPG average(10 miles commute)...
and to my girlfriends, which gets me about 52 MPG average(20 mile drive)

also, I love the car!

Quick Reply: Roll call... how many Altima hybrid owners are here?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands