NAH MPG blues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAH MPG blues.

Originally Posted by TheSpoils

Here are my tips based on the previous post here.
  • Use regular octane gas, higher grades have less BTU and therefore, less bang for your buck.
  • Use your AC, make sure it is not on recirculate. Recirculate will not pressurize the cabin and cool air will not get back into the battery compartment. In extreme hot weather, over 95F, you can pull down the rear armrest and open the panel to allow more cool air to the battery.
  • Yes tire pressure is important, I use max sidewall allowed 44 PSI
  • Use fuel efficient driving techniques. Drive the speed limit or slightly less, the NAH suffers from highway / high speed efficiency. Choose alternate roads to avoid high speed freeways (over 80 mph)
  • Use pulse and glide and stay alert to the traffic ahead, the goal is not to come to a complete stop, you will need a longer fuel burn to get back to speed every time you stop.
  • Set your expectations. You may never achieve a 50 mpg tank, although I came close, but you should not be seeing tanks under 30 mpg either.
  • The reason you bought this car was to save on fuel costs / help the environment / be the first on the block with a hybrid. So dedicate some time to learn efficient driving, you will feel rewarded.
GOOD LUCK
Excellent summary. To that, I would add that, for cold winter driving, consider a grill block and/or a block heater to keep the engine warm.

I also am not convinced about the AC in recirculate mode being beneficial, only because the car does not like EV mode when the AC is on. So, I have not been able to show any benefits from this technique...

Eph

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think he said NOT to stay in Recirculate mode. My car does not seem to have an issue with EV mode when AC is on though I do know it draws down more power so perhaps the rEV run time is less? But since its not an added load to the engine while running EV, i dont see why it should prevent EV mode from running.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Gee, unless your dump truck is a hybrid, methinks that your post is inappropriate for this forum.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yu888
I think he said NOT to stay in Recirculate mode. My car does not seem to have an issue with EV mode when AC is on though I do know it draws down more power so perhaps the rEV run time is less? But since its not an added load to the engine while running EV, i dont see why it should prevent EV mode from running.
I think that what he meant was not to use the recirculate mode for the AC if one intended to cool the hybrid battery pack in the rear. The only time that I have noticed the gas engine favored over the hybrid is when the heater is used.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

Here are some updated images, I'm glad I have the NAH and Prius, I can post comparisons and opinions on both. Sorry the date displayed 2004 is incorrect, i forgot to reset. Anyway the images are My two hybrids, best overall tank mpg and lifetime mpg on the Prius.

Attached Thumbnails NAH MPG blues.-my2hybrids.jpg   NAH MPG blues.-100_3903.jpg   NAH MPG blues.-lifetime-mpg.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Here is a link to some interesting programming on the prius that should also be available for the Altima (since it is toyota components)
http://www.ewertenergy.com/

Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is a link to some interesting programming on the prius that should also be available for the Altima (since it is toyota components)
http://www.ewertenergy.com/
Looks like an interesting site.
Is there a particular article you think is worth reading?

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Hello Eph, how you been?
The video is interesting, 60+ mph in EV mode !!!!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello Eph, how you been?
The video is interesting, 60+ mph in EV mode !!!!
Things are good here, thanks.
But, not so good that I'd pay $13K for a plug-in conversion kit!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

Agreed, 13K is alot. I think the technology is heading in the right direction though. BTW how has the solar panel worked over the last year? Do you still have it? What kind of comments did you get from the dealer when you took it in for oil changes?

Quick Reply: NAH MPG blues.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands