NAH MPG blues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAH MPG blues.

My opinion is that the average EPA estimate of 34 MPG is right on the money for the NAH.

I live in NJ where we get 4 distinct seasons with varied temperatures. We get horrible traffic conditions. We have mandatory additives (ethanol) for at least half the year. We have multiple drivers confusing the computer and a host of other issues. Yet, we have averaged over 35 MPG for over 22,000 miles. In the worst possible weather, which in my case includes a winter trip to Vermont and several summer days in the 100's, I have never had a tank less then 31 MPG or over 38 MPG. The average MPG on Greenhybrid for the NAH is 34 as well and that is including a low mark for an Altima that is not a hybrid.

If you are getting less then 30 MPG all the time then your weather is more extreme then average, your trips are shorter then recommended, your driving really fast all the time, or there is something wrong with your car (tires, battery, breaks). Or a combination of the above.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this could be affecting it or not, but I read in the manual that you should not use gasoline with higher than 10% oxygenates. Maricopa county in Arizona has to use oxygenated gasoline year round and many use 15%. I have to drive around to find some that use 10% (or at least that's what the label says on the pump).

Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I apologize to everyone in advance for taking up Tony on his attack and wasting this thread's time...

Originally Posted by TonyK
Ilovechess100

[1.] thats interesting you would think of using the lemon law because someone is not able to get the mpg stated on the window.

[2.] There are a whole bunch of reasons ...[]

[3.] Before going off the deep end as you have, consider someone that knows how to drive a hybrid for max mpg and have him prove to the owner it can be done. OR, have the person who cant get it in his, show he can get it on the demonstrator model the dealer has.

[4.] Its soooo much easier to blame someone else for their own inadequacies, isnt it?

[5.] By no means am I saying the owner in this thread is a deadbeat poor driver but you have to really think things out before you suggest someone consider the lemon law.

1. Buddy, I did not suggest the lemon law because someone is not able to get the advertised MPGs. I suggested the lemon law because that someone WAS able to get the advertised MPGs and then all of the sudden their MPG dropped sharply which is characteristic of a problem. Furthermore Nissan is refusing to diagnose the problem. Now if you actually read this thread you would know what I am talking about.

2. yes there are tons of reasons, which is why I said that the driver factor needs to be removed from the equation by using cruise control and also to compare against another NAH on the same route to rule out environmental effects. I also said that in such a controlled test there has to be a difference of 5MPG+ for this to really be considered a problem with the vehicle.

3. Good suggestion to demonstrate the MPG on the dealer model... however that is unfeasible as the dealer wouldn't allow someone to drive the vehicle for that long to make that point.

4. lol... I won't even comment on that x-D I would just hope that you never have to experience any problems with your vehicle that the dealer cannot repair.

5. Again if you bothered to read the thread carefully, I suggested multiple times that the person perform controlled tests on his vehicle and compare against other vehicles in order to truly determine that there is something wrong with his car. Now, assuming that in the controlled tests he is able to confirm that indeed his vehicle performs poorly, that becomes his weapon to get the dealership (which has apparently provided poor service to date) to diagnose his problem, and going even further if the problem cannot be fixed by the authorized nissan representatives, the vehicle can be claimed a lemon.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

The only reason I suggested the lemon law in my case is that my car for reasons other than FE have been in Nissan's Svc Department for 15 days out of the 30 required days for the lemon law to take into affect. Note: I have had other problems with this car to start mostly computer problems; the FE is just the latest problem with this car in the 6 months ive had it. A factory tech is coming out in 2 weeks to look at my NAH; I hope I can solve this problem and let everyone else know whats going on that may or may not have these problems to be more informed about this car.

Thanks!
Real

Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

If it looks like a lemon or smells like a lemon or tastes like a lemon, it may very well be a lemon.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
The two things that make my MPG fall by more then 4 digits are temperature and tires.

The first time it happened it was a tire, even though I checked them regularly and made sure they were filled with air, there ended up being a nail in one of them.

Temperature is the biggest culprit. The NAH has a sensor that shuts down the battery recharge if it thinks the battery is overheating. This often happens when the outside temperature is in the 90's or more. You will know exactly when it's occurring, because all you have to do is excellerate to over 40 miles per hour then break. If the charge needle goes way down in to the blue, your car is normal, if it barely makes it into the blue, your battery is not charging due to too much heat. try to keep the car cool on hot days. Run the AC. Keep the car in the garage or under shade when not being used. Incidentally there are also too cold temperatures (typically under 40 degrees) that effect MPG, because it takes longer to warm up the catalytic converter.

I hope its just temperature as everything will return to normal with some cooler weather.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

I've always wondered why my electric battery indicator failed to recharge upon hard braking at temps above 95F. One thread provided above (which I had copied, but failed to reply to) provided the answer. We've never gotten above 30 MPG in our 2007 NAH, but that could be due to numerous issues (tire pressure; using mid-grade gas; hard starts; running the AC in the summer or the heater in the winter).

Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

The most important reason for poor mileage was omitted, "fuel efficient driving techniques and driver skill level" My wife now drives the NAH, she averages 34 calculated, 36+/- MFD display. She does not drive efficiently guns it to the red light then slams on the brakes. I averaged 40-45 with my optimized FE driving techniques. I now drive the 2010 Prius and average 55 MPG lifetime "including cold winter and hot summer numbers for past 12 months"

Here are my tips based on the previous post here.
  • Use regular octane gas, higher grades have less BTU and therefore, less bang for your buck.
  • Use your AC, make sure it is not on recirculate. Recirculate will not pressurize the cabin and cool air will not get back into the battery compartment. In extreme hot weather, over 95F, you can pull down the rear armrest and open the panel to allow more cool air to the battery.
  • Yes tire pressure is important, I use max sidewall allowed 44 PSI
  • Use fuel efficient driving techniques. Drive the speed limit or slightly less, the NAH suffers from highway / high speed efficiency. Choose alternate roads to avoid high speed freeways (over 80 mph)
  • Use pulse and glide and stay alert to the traffic ahead, the goal is not to come to a complete stop, you will need a longer fuel burn to get back to speed every time you stop.
  • Set your expectations. You may never achieve a 50 mpg tank, although I came close, but you should not be seeing tanks under 30 mpg either.
  • The reason you bought this car was to save on fuel costs / help the environment / be the first on the block with a hybrid. So dedicate some time to learn efficient driving, you will feel rewarded.
GOOD LUCK

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
The most important reason for poor mileage was omitted, "fuel efficient driving techniques and driver skill level" My wife now drives the NAH, she averages 34 calculated, 36+/- MFD display. She does not drive efficiently guns it to the red light then slams on the brakes. I averaged 40-45 with my optimized FE driving techniques. I now drive the 2010 Prius and average 55 MPG lifetime "including cold winter and hot summer numbers for past 12 months"

Here are my tips based on the previous post here.
  • Use regular octane gas, higher grades have less BTU and therefore, less bang for your buck.
  • Use your AC, make sure it is not on recirculate. Recirculate will not pressurize the cabin and cool air will not get back into the battery compartment. In extreme hot weather, over 95F, you can pull down the rear armrest and open the panel to allow more cool air to the battery.
  • Yes tire pressure is important, I use max sidewall allowed 44 PSI
  • Use fuel efficient driving techniques. Drive the speed limit or slightly less, the NAH suffers from highway / high speed efficiency. Choose alternate roads to avoid high speed freeways (over 80 mph)
  • Use pulse and glide and stay alert to the traffic ahead, the goal is not to come to a complete stop, you will need a longer fuel burn to get back to speed every time you stop.
  • Set your expectations. You may never achieve a 50 mpg tank, although I came close, but you should not be seeing tanks under 30 mpg either.
  • The reason you bought this car was to save on fuel costs / help the environment / be the first on the block with a hybrid. So dedicate some time to learn efficient driving, you will feel rewarded.
GOOD LUCK
Absolutely concur. In learning how to most efficiently drive my NAH, I have been able to maintain within a couple MPG, my mileage after replacing with performance tires that initially knocked me under 30mpg. Sticky Bridgestones inflated to 35 just didn't cut it. Upping the pressure to 43 and improving my smoothness and adapting to the stickier tires that require more torque to get moving, I have been able to get it back in the 33 range. Its about adapting to the car, something some folks have difficulty doing, but it is rewarding when you get it.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast

My dump truck gives better milage then your Nissan Altima..

Quick Reply: NAH MPG blues.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands