MPG reports...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default MPG reports...?

I've been gone for a week, and I came home to the news that my nephew drove our car to Las Vegas from Los Angeles at 85 mph pretty much the whole way. I think his driving represented a little more than a third of the tank.

I've got to double check the numbers, but even with more than a third of the tank wasted on none hypermiling driving, it still looks like the tank averaged 38 mpg. All of the driving prior to his bat-out-of-hell adventure was city driving.

We are actually going to scratch the numbers on that tank and only evaluate a tank we drive entirely ourselves, but I thought for anecdotal interest I'd put this up.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG reports...?

Update...

Okay I just crunched pencil to paper and the MPG on our first tank was between 36.2 and 36.9 mpg depending on whether or not the tank was properly zeroed out. It had 12 miles on it when we bought it... and I think it was zeroed for 36.9 mpg. If that is the case, that's not bad given my nephew's driving. I think we will be able to get much better mpg since neither or us are speed demons.

The 38 mpg was the Altima hybrid display number.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Too Smug

As you are finding out, the mileage in your display will almost always be a little higher than actual (computed) mileage. Still, I'd say you're doing very well as your NAH isn't even close to being broken-in and 85 mph hardly represent frugal driving!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sallyspal
As you are finding out, the mileage in your display will almost always be a little higher than actual (computed) mileage. Still, I'd say you're doing very well as your NAH isn't even close to being broken-in and 85 mph hardly represent frugal driving!
We just topped off the tank so we can start fresh with frugal driving.

323 miles for 8.5 gallons = 38 mpg

I'm starting to feel happy with my mpg.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow! That's pretty impressive! Definitely keep us posted!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

So will we be able to add these cars to the DB here some time?

Per the display I got around 36.5 on my first partial tank (car was delivered over 100 miles to my house) and am stuck on around 35.0 after 200 miles of my second (have been in schedule pressure on several trips, driving to get places, not driving to get good statistics), will be interesting to see what actually refilling the tank shows.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

XJB, I'm questionable as to how well that guage works. It read 34.4 or 34.5 on my first tank... and then actual mileage was a little over 36. On my second partial tank it read 35.5 and we got 38. (It's reading 35.5 now... but we are only 100 miles into this tank.)

We filled it with regular this tank. We are going to do a tank or regular, then one of medium... then one of high octaine... to see if we can see any difference in performance.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool beans. I'm driving the car today, and the yellow fill up light just went on. I'll be refilling tongight for one more MPG report.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

559 miles refill 16.52 gallons for 33.83 MPG

Someone at Nissan's head will roll!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

On the first tank I drove myself (my car was delivered by a dealer some unknown number of miles with the tank possibly full) I got 654 miles in 17.2 gallons for 38.0. This was using Chevron 87, Bay Area for the climate, driving suburban including some highway trips and 10-mile highway commuting but lots of local errands and driving kids to school/sports.

Quick Reply: MPG reports...?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands