Justify Dealer Maintenance/Service Rates To Me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Justify Dealer Maintenance/Service Rates To Me?

I can't imagine it's possible but maybe for fun?

I called my local dealer about a 30,000 service on my 2008 Hybrid and was quoted $479.00. So I look at my schedule and I basically need the following:

oil change
air filter replacement
in-cabin microfilter
tire rotation
general inspection

The premium service is more involved but since I don't live in a dessert or Alaska, well, there you go. This isn't much more than a 7,500 service and at worst is a 15,000 premium according to the manual?

So, can anyone justify $479.00 for something I can get Big O to do for at worst $100.00 with synthetic oil?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Justify Dealer Maintenance/Service Rates To Me?

Actually if you look at the work needed to get the in-cabin microfilter out, you need to add an additional hour labor. (You have to take out the glove box to access it with small hhands) Anyhow just did mine 2 weeks ago at a ASE certified shop and it was $200 all inclusive with synthetic oil, tax and oil recycle fees. No way to justify $479 in my mind.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"General Inspection" is way too vague. Is that the description in the Owners Manual, or just something the dealership dreamed up. My guess would be it's a front/rear brake inspection, coupled with look-over of drivetrain/suspension/steering components. But that's just a guess. Ask them what they intend to do for the money. Specifically.

Tire rotations are most practical coupled with brake inspections, fwiw, since the wheels are coming off anyways.

An hours labour to change the cabin air filter...?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Changing the cabin filter is part of the 15K service. I can't imagine it costs $100 to do, and I'd bet the filter is under $30, but I could be wrong. As to the inspection part, I believe the dealer is following the inspection guide as recommended by Nissan. They do a bunch of inspections which I imagine take a minute or two each, maybe.

My guess is that the 30K service has kind of taken on a mythology. It's a big number, must be important, so people run in and drop a bunch of money (get everything changed, even if the dealer doesn't recommend it), and the only winner, is the dealer.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, the cabin filter on the NAH is different than the ones in the HCH. SOmehow Nissan engineers must have small hands b/c they shoved that baby in a very out of the way place and given the size of hands of the average tech, i'd say the labour hours listed in the manual of 1 hour is pretty ****ed close. To me, I'd rather someone else do it but i am lazy like that. BUT I still cat see where the $400+ quote gets justified, as noted above, tire rotation, brake check, fluid check...not much more stuff needed. I suppose the dealer would be plugging in the computer for data to make their job easier in case there are any issues, but surely that cant justify the difference? Anyhow ultimately its buying some peace of mind for those who won't or do not know how to work on the car I suppose.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

I have just done my 15,000 mile service and it cost me $306 at the dealership. It includes tire balance and rotation, oil change, fluid refill, cabin filter change, and vehicle inspection. It is pretty costly. But they found little seal leak in front axle and changed the whole axle. They said for this type of car, they cannot change the seal, they have to change the whole axle under the warranty. I suppose it would be quite costly, much more than $300. It took 1.5 hours of labor on it. It may worth to do a $300 service at the dealership.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well considering the warranty would still be valid even if you did the work elsewhere, the real savings is in the fact it saved you a separate trip.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Nissan increased year-on-year Qashqai sales 35 percent in June to 23,852. In the first half, Nissan sold 117,270 Qashqais, up 56 percent from the 75,122 units sold in Europe during the same period last year.