Dealer Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Dealer Maintenance?

I typically prefer to go with a reputable local shop to do my maintenance on my past cars (Goodyear Gemini) instead of the Honda Dealership, as I have noticed the the dealership likes to add $100 of inspections and extra services to a standard oil change..... and also the location is less convinient. After taking delivery of my new HCH yesterday, I notice that it requires 0W20 oil and special "Honda" CVT transmission fluid. How many people here get their car serviced at places other than the dealership? I'm assuming that their is nothing special about the "Honda" CVT fluid, but Honda is just trying to sell their own fluid?

Old 11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer Maintenance?

I believe there is something special about Honda CVT transmission oil. I don't think you can get any, other than the dealer. (I could be wrong, haven't really looked) The dealer doesn't touch my car unless it's something I'm not confident in doing myself. I have done all my own oil changes, tire rotations and routine inspections of the car. I let the dealer do all of the standard 30,60,90,120 mile recommended service. My warranty requires it.

Howard

Old 11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would suggest not using anything but the Honda CVT fluid, as various people have told me that Honda's is "special" for some reason. But you can certainly buy it at the dealer and take it to your independent mechanic shop.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I get all my oil changes done locally (using 0-20W that I purchased at Napa). I take it to Honda for the major services (15, 30, 45, 60K...) That usually takes care of the CVT fluid changes, so I don't worry about it.