How to get rid of smell in car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default How to get rid of smell in car.

Own 2008 Altema hybrid that has 30,000 miles. Around 1000 miles ago bad smell started to come upon start up. It goes away in around 10 seconds. Smell is akin to rancid cow manure. Please no jokes about this. My wife already mad when I asked if she drove through pasture.

At normal oil change asked dealership to check out smell. I left overnight so that they could smell it upon startup. Not convinced they tried to smell upon startup. Thry could not smell anything. They checked out whole system including factory advisories. Charged $40 and said they could not find anything.

Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to get rid of smell in car.

is it humid where you live and you run the AC? there is a funky smell due to moisture in the vents when you run the AC and then turn it off. it happens to a lot of car. I would just tell you you have a problem if it was like that for over 10 seconds

Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Lanjie
Thank you for your reply. I thought that maybe there was a very minor oil leak and that the burn off on startup was the culprit.

Your explanation seems much more plausible. We live in the SF Bay Area and it is not very humid. When we tried the fan alone we did not get the bad smell. It does seem to come with the AC.

I notice another poster on a different thread had a smell problem. That person equated it to an animal smell. My wife thinks that description is right on with odor.

Anyway, it is annoying. To answer your question it lasts for 5-10 odiferous seconds.

You would think the dealership would have come to your AC conclusion. We did say that it seemed to come with the AC.

Thanks again for your answer.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

No problem, just trying to help. You can try to mimic the smell by driving during a hot, humid day with the AC on, turn off the AC and just keep the fan running. Doesn't always happen so you might need to try it on different days

Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new...9-c-smell.html