How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: New FEH Owner....How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Help I am a new altima owner. The dealer only had 2 cars & no one there really knows anything about the hybrid. I read the explanation but what is a tachometer? Can someone please explain it in even simpler language? Thanks and sorry but I plead ignorance. I have read the manual but it doesn't give much info about driving the car.
Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How do I know I am driving in 'EV'?

Your eyes did not decieve you. There is no tach and no reason for one. The decision as to RPM is made by the computer in the hybrid. Remember in EV mode (and there is an indicator when you are in EV mode in the little square window) the engine isn't running so there are no revolutions the engine will need to make. In the hybrid, the computer decides everything from when to enter EV mode, if and how much it needs gas, if it needs gas and electric power at the same time. All you do is steer and put your foot on the gas peddle. Even the gas peddle isn't connected to throttle. The peddle is connected to the computer and it decides if it needs to open or close the throttle. Sometimes it does it just to keep the engine compartent warm based on your personal settings.

Others will probably add-in their own feelings but at least this can get you started. While the hybrid lets you drive the way you always have, you will notice you might start to change the way you drive to get the better gas mileage.

Welcome here and good luck with your Altima hybrid. I am very pleased with mine and it finally makes driving fun again to see all this technology. You might even want to visit the Camry Hybrid forum as the two cars are similar in their hybrid design.