Hybrid inverter failure after spinning out on ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 06:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid inverter failure after spinning out on ice

On November 11th, I had an icy spin out situation in a parking lot on super icy and near below 0 f temps. My 2007 GS450h stopped "cold" literally. I checked the new in May Greenbean hybrid battery connection to see if the "orange cutoff" was still in place, checked fuses in the engine compartment-SUPER COLD mind you in the windy below 0 temps.
Had to get the car towed to my local independent shop that's manned by a former automotive engineer from Detroit who's a genius of sorts. He made it a "hobby" to try to diagnose what was really wrong with the WELL MAINTAINED car. I've got 168 or so thousand miles on it, owned it myself for over 4 years and put almost 90k on it myself. Bought it from our local "good" lexus dealership that maintained it to the 9's for the one owner before me.

My independent shop said, HYBRID INVERTER FAILURE and that it was a lexus only type repair situation and for further expert hybrid tech examination. Lexus says, hybrid inverter shot, $6,900 to replace w/new. Can't justify that expense after shelling out a "reasonable" $2,400 for a greenbean "new" hybrid battery in May, '19 and all told for a myriad of other maintenance items including new O2 sensors, mufflers and more to the tune of $5,700 in '19 at my one indy shop alone. In discussing the situation of the breakdown, some associates of mine suggested making an insurance claim since the vehicle broke after the accident. The insurance company is telling me that it's a mechanical failure and not a result of the accident however the direct correlation between accident and sudden failure to a reasonable man would indicate it broke as a result of whatever condition existed as the vehicle revved, spun out on the ice and slid into a snow heap. No body damage exists by the way.

Any ideas people? What do you do with a GS450h in awesome shape but with no inverter?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid inverter failure after spinning out on ice

The idea that spinning tires on ice caused an inverter failure is preposterous. You've not made it clear that there was an impact. If there was an impact, you may have tripped an inertial switch cut-off that disables the car until they are reset or replaced. I do not know specifically if the GS450h has them or not. Many hybrids do, and many have more than one.

Take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealership, spend $150 and get some useful information. Bring us the CODES with the associated detail codes.

A good "independent" shop with the proper expertise would offer you a much lower price to install a salvage inverter. Pretty easy to DIY as well.

$20 gets you 48 hour access to every single manual and technical document available for Toyota/Scion/Lexus at http://techinfo.toyota.com.

Unfortunately, your Greenbean battery lifetime warranty battery is null and void since you've "stored" the vehicle for more than 30 days.

Last edited by S Keith; 01-14-2020 at 07:48 PM.