Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The United States of Toyota (article)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: The United States of Toyota (article)

I totally agree with you. The last 8 years have been a culltural Dark Ages in which the Far Right has handed the wealth of the middle class over to the rich and the megacorporations. Our government is lled by a closed-minded, divisive, religious zealot who fears science almost as much as he hates opposing views.

The so-called "American" companies have been outsourcing to third-world hellholes just so that a handfull of rich, white billionaires can be paid handsomely for wrecking the American way of life.

"Buy American"? I don't even know what that means anymore

Originally Posted by ag4ever
But is our country there to support us?

How many US citizens are for illegal immigration.

How many US citizens agree with how our government is being run?

How many US citizens aggree with the decision of our law makers?

I think you will find that they are not supporting us as much as you think, and are supporting their own agendas more.

Me, I personaly try to support the american economy as much as possible, but feel the american car manufacturers have moved too far away from what I want to support them. If they make what I want and will perform how I feel it is supposed to, then I will give the preferential treatment. Untill then, I will still buy a "foreign" car if it is better.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Prius geek

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Although I would never wish the need on anyone, but your question would be answered if you ever had to dial 911. Your question would be answered if this country is ever attacked again like on Sept. 11th. Your question would be answered if you ever had severe weather cause you to lose your home, or you needed a hurricane shelter, or grocery assistance, or lost your job and needed an income while unemployed. I could go on and on...

All easy things to overlook in a society of greed and unthankfulness.

08FEH
Funny how predictable it is that when a conversation such as this one starts Sept. 11th will always be brought up. You can usually tell who will bring it up as well. Another topic for another forum.

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Thanks for the honesty Keith,

Your country will still be here for you, that is what America is all about.

Your government still there for you while you sleep, still there for you if there is a fire, medical or police need and you call 911 for help, they are still there for you 24-7-365.

Still there, dying for you in war, willing to leave their family, so you can be free to enjoy life in this country with yours. Still there to protect you and your family.
Still there to help you and your family if your country is ever attacked again.

So I think you are correct that your opinion is even more unpopular than mine.

But, as you said, even though you don't "care to support your country", your country will still be there to support you.

08FEH
I draw a very fine line between "country" and "people". Is it the country that pulls me from a burning building? Is it the country that helps me rebuild from a storm? Is it the country that rushes to my aid when an intruder is in my home? It is not, it's the people, the comunity. And as for "defending" me from attack, being a strict pacifist I would rather they didn't.

But you generally missed the point of my post. My fault I guess for bringing up my political view. The point I was tring to make is that for the past decade+ it has been Toyota, Honda, and other asian manufacturers that have been the better citizens, the better community members. As long as they continue that trend, I would preferr to do business with them over the "Big 3".

Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thezed
The point I was tring to make is that for the past decade+ it has been Toyota, Honda, and other asian manufacturers that have been the better citizens, the better community members. As long as they continue that trend, I would preferr to do business with them over the "Big 3".
That would certainly have to be considered an opinion. After all, the Asian manufacturers have relocated auto manufacturing to greenfield sites in southern states, avoided any investment in the depressed urban or minority areas, successfully avoided union contracts with any responsibility for retiree benefits or health care, etc. Ultimately I think the pressure from the Asian companies will improve the overall auto business and US and world economy. However, I can't see any real intent on their part to be "good citizens".

Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by thezed
.....The point I was tring to make is that for the past decade+ it has been Toyota, Honda, and other asian manufacturers that have been the better citizens, the better community members. As long as they continue that trend, I would preferr to do business with them over the "Big 3".
I'd say that it's all a matter of pov. If you look at how companies contribute to the communities they are in, I'd say that Toyota and to a lesser extent Honda, have had more effective PR machines. If you look at where the rubber meets the road and what companies are actually spending significant money to improve the areas where they do business and the country as a whole, GM & Ford are way out front. Things like support the United Way, supporting arts and humanities on local and national scale, funding scholarship programs and research grants, and supporting local businesses are things that Ford and GM do almost as a reflex without taking every opportunity to pump it up in the press. It's just part of being a good corporate citizen.

Peace,

Martin

Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

zed,

What about 911 is funny to you again? I missed that part.

Perhaps since we are talking about Japanese cars, we should bring up Pearl Harbor instead of 911?

The discussion is about supporting the Country in which you live. You can say it anyway you want, but the PEOPLE you are talking about, if they live here (legally) ,they are AMERICANS. Those people you speak about, make up your country.

When you talk about the people, the "community" that pull you from the burning building..Those are the AMERICANS that you are NOT supporting by purchasing your product from a FOREIGN country.

It's pretty simple really, when you buy a product from a FOREIGN manufacturer, the profit at the manufacturing level of that product goes to a FOREIGN country.

FOREIGN countries do NOT pay for AMERICAN local governments. The AMERICAN local government SUPPORTS the men who show up in that BIG RED TRUCK and pull you from that burning building.

Twist it up anyway that helps you support your decision to purchase foreign, but that fact you cannot change.

08FEH