Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota considering GM deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: Toyota considering GM deal ?

For whatever it is worth, or pure trivia on GM/Toyota partnerships:

My very first vehicle I owned was a 1962 Toyota Land Cruiser, the original FJ jeep. Incredibly unconfortable to drive, had zero creature comforts. Yet extremely tough and resilent, a mean 4X4 that would take you places your mother told you not to go....

And what engine did this one have?
A licenced Chevy 230 CID inline-six, an economical but very resilient engine. IMHO one of the very best truck engines ever, very forgiving to operate and rsimple to repair, reliablility-wise a jewel, and with lots of low-end torque for its small displacement.

I know for sure it was a Chevy. When I overhauled the engine, I used Chevy parts all over and they fit right in.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default I wonder if they actually licensed that GM straight 6?

fernando_g,
I don't have any doubt that the engine was a GM straight six, but I wonder if Toyota actually licensed it, or just copied it. The Japanese Corps of that era were "famous" for just coping the technology from other companies without bothering with any licensing agreements.
I would guess they actually did license it, because the Japanese metalurgy of that era was waaaaay behind the USA's. It did improve very quickly, however-plenty of that was probably from what they learned from licensing agreements.This was all more or less legal.
Made in Japan meant junk in the 50's and early 60's.It wasn't until the early/mid 60's that Japanese stuff-Honda MCs and Sony radios- became recognized as anything but junk.Luck. Charlie