Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Times gives a not bad review

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Engineering first
Default Times gives a not bad review

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle2406309.ece

Nowadays everyone from actors to politicians is driving them so it seems strange to remind ourselves that at its launch the success of the Toyota Prius was far from assured. Back in 2000 the hybrid car, driven by a combination of petrol and battery power, was viewed as something of a niche item with only the most ardent of greenies feeling their pulses quicken as they cast their eyes over the rather dumpy bodywork.

Seven years on, with a change of body shape, an increase in power and in a world now obsessing over green issues, the Prius has come of age. Even secondhand it is much sought after, making it one of the most frugal cars on the market in terms of depreciation as well as fuel consumption.
. . .
The Times has never been fond of the Prius and even now, this review has a few backhanded compliments. But it appears to be a bit fairer in the review of use Prius than anything I'd read before. Perhaps reality is winning out.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Times gives a not bad review

I think reality is winning out, at least in some areas of the country.
Over the past summer, as I drove my son to & from his first job, I saw a lot of Prius and Honda Civic hybrids in the area of Trumbull, CT. Last week, while auto-stopped at an intersection here, I saw one Prius and three HCH-1's (all the same color!).
My daughter's college has just joined a Zip Car program, where fuel-efficient vehicles can be rented by the hour or by the day. One of the cars is a Prius.
Whenever I park at the college (in Purchase, NY), I see a lot of hybrid cars there.
Although a lot of people still have misconceptions about these cars, they do seem to be becoming more mainstream.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Times gives a not bad review

One thing I found charming in this article was the information that the Prius is exempt from the London congestion fee. I wonder- if New York decides to adopt the congestion fee, will they give hybrids an exemption? That would be great!