Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Still in denial

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Still in denial

What I meant is that the CDIs came to North America as a truck, so that emissions standards are more lax. They're Tier 2 Bin 10, or something to that effect. They are the kind of turbodiesel engines that have been around for over a decade in consumer vehicles, with a different injection system from the TDIs (VW). Particulate filters are optional in Europe, and they are designed with ULSD (Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel) grade as a requirement. Mercedes-Benz coined the term of "Bluetec" and uses it on their E 320 luxury sedan, but it is actually a clean diesel in phases. At the moment, it is merely a CDI with a particulate filter. What has yet to come is the next phase, with additional emissions treatment, including AdBlue urea injection. Getting back to the trucks, no, they are straight-up dirty diesels. Surely better than 30 years ago, but not marching to the same regulation that has temporarily halted diesel light-duty passenger vehicles.

I didn't expect to see the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel listed at fueleconomy.gov, but there it is, and on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) for emissions, it ranks at 1. Its fuel efficiency benefit over its closest gas sibling is only 13-15%.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by valerieannt
Too bad, the American car makers just cannot wake up to smell the coffee instead of sipping BIG OIL!
It's easy to lay blame on the manufacturers for what is also a consumer problem. People wanted and purchased those pretend HUMMERS. Consumers buy pick-up trucks when they don't need them. This was observed by Jeremy Clarkson when he did a programme in Texas. The few consumers who go against the grain aren't enough to sustain these businesses. GM gave you what you wanted.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by spinner
What I meant is that the CDIs came to North America as a truck, so that emissions standards are more lax. They're Tier 2 Bin 10, or something to that effect. They are the kind of turbodiesel engines ...
Thanks! I don't follow diesel technology since I have a hybrid. Adding details like this helps hybrid owners learn about an interesting, non-hybrid technology.

Again, thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

It's easy to lay blame on the manufacturers for what is also a consumer problem. People wanted and purchased those pretend HUMMERS. Consumers buy pick-up trucks when they don't need them. This was observed by Jeremy Clarkson when he did a programme in Texas. The few consumers who go against the grain aren't enough to sustain these businesses. GM gave you what you wanted.
Ditto. For better or worse, no salesman held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to buy a large vehicle. Well put!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

I TOTALLY agree - GM did listen to the consumer THEN! However, NOW, they are NOT. Having only one option for a gas economic vehicle (Cobalt) is quite pathetic! Go to gmnext.com and read the comments for yourself. Almost every post is begging for a gas economy solution. It is unfortunate, how they shot themselves in the foot. They had a great solution- the EV1 (and selling the battery rights to BIG OIL- Chevron/Texaco). However, they did not give the EV1 a chance to be a success. One thing is for sure, they won't be crushing HUMMERS like they did EV1s. I think for GM "it's a little too late to do the right thing now".

Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Hmm. Are you saying that Chevron bought the rights to shut it down? Then what about this? Looks like Chevron has an interest in supplying battery to GM.

Off-topic, but this reminds me of a Monty Python quote in The Meaning of Life:
[Hospital Administrator] Ah, I see you have the machine that goes ping. This is my favorite. You see we lease it back from the company we sold it to and that way it comes under the monthly current budget and not the capital account.

I never understood Accountant humour. Except for this, which was a Prof. Quote from University of Waterloo: What is the definition of a computer? It is an Accountant with a personality.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Prius geek

Need more be said?

Attached Files
File Type: doc
ChevronBatteryPatent.doc (29.0 KB, 750 views)
ev1crushed.doc (98.5 KB, 142 views)
GMsells batterytech.doc (31.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 06-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

I am just really concerned that GM will come out with FE vehicles that run well and people will start buying them. Would enjoy seeing GM's own greed take themselves down for the count. Hope they continue what they are doing, can't wait to see the results. (Sorry but I am very bitter with GM after watching "who killed the electric car")

Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you think that GM will ever go "down for the count," then YOU are in denial.

Congress will never let that happen, and they'll use OUR money to make sure that it doesn't.

Think "Bear-Stearns."

Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Hybrid Lover

The EV-1 program should not have been shut down. Ever. If they had kept at it I can't even imagine where it would be today. Of course, who does GM blame: THE CONSUMER. I was looking at chevrolet.com at the Malibu Hybrid (a hybrid joke) and the site addressed some of the issues of the EV-1 controversy. The number one was that "no one wanted them". I don't think they (GM) can deny any of the charges leveled against them in "Who Killed the Electric Car?". That was quite an eye-opener.

Quick Reply: Still in denial

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands