Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Still in denial

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Engineering first
Default Still in denial

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...805240311/1014

NORFOLK, Va. -- Chrysler LLC is open to buying models from other automakers similar to its agreement with Nissan, and has sped up its plans for more fuel-efficient models in light of fuel prices, CEO Bob Nardelli said Friday.

Nardelli also said the automaker was closely monitoring the economy, but didn't see the need to make drastic changes because of record oil prices or surging commodity costs as Ford Motor Co. did Thursday.
Another addition to the famous list of last words:
... the automaker ... didn't see the need to make drastic changes ...
This from the new owners who bought Chrysler less than a year ago.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 05-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Still in denial

Amazing.
Apparently, GM sees no reason to make much in the way of changes either. Today I was reading my mail, which included a booklet from GM. Enclosed in the advert was a $2,000 coupon towards the price of any one of their cars. I had to laugh as I paged through the brochure, which did not even include a page on the Chevy Aveo. All the other models were touting their EPA figures, but no mention at all of the one model they have that is anywhere near fuel-efficient.
I will be sending the $2,000 coupon back to GM, with an explanation that until they can produce a vehicle capable of achieving the fuel efficiency of the '91 Olds Ciera we own (which has done as well as 40 mpg on long highway trips), uhh... no thanks.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Yes, I also wonder why GM/Chrysler/Ford are so unwilling to produce hybrid cars. Is there any reason by BAS couldn't be adapted to a Cobalt and an Aevo? And where is the Ford Fusion hybrid that's been rumored about for the past three years? Or doesn't Ford want to compete against the Camry Hybrid and the Altima Hybrid? Oh... and I guess they're not worried about Honda's two compact hybrids for 2009 that are going to sell in the $18k-$20k range and get 50 MPG. ::sigh::

Open your wallets, fellow taxpayers. The Big Three are going to SUV-produce themselves to the brink of bankruptcy and then beg for a great big government bailout on our dime.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

You're wrong, Indigo. The Big Three won't have to beg.

Congress will vote them a bail-out package at midnight on the Friday before Christmas recess. Then, a month or two later, they'll hold hearings to tell us why the bail out was actually good for taxpayers.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indigo
And where is the Ford Fusion hybrid that's been rumored about for the past three years? Or doesn't Ford want to compete against the Camry Hybrid and the Altima Hybrid? ::sigh::
The Fusion Hybrid arrives December 2008.

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-01-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe cut Chrysler some slack on this one. They were part of a bigger enterprise not so long ago and it is conceivable that they were waiting on Mercedes-Benz to engineer the solutions for them. Then Daimler cut-and-run, leaving Chrysler in a position that is at least three years behind the competition. That move not only helped Mercedes-Benz get back into the black but indirectly gave GM and Ford an advantage.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
..and it is conceivable that they were waiting on Mercedes-Benz to engineer the solutions for them.
That would be the 3.0 CRD (common rail diesel) that is available in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has slightly more horsepower than the gas V-6 and significantly more torque than the V-8. All this at 15-20% better EPA mileage. And the towing capacity increases over the base engine from 6500 lbs to 7800 lbs. This is unlike the handicap that hybrid-zation places on SUVs. The THHII drops the standard Highlander's 5000 lbs down to 3500 lbs. But then again even Toyota admits...

"Note: The Highlander Hybrid is not designed to be driven off-road."

Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yep. The CDIs (proper designation, Common-rail Diesel Injection) is the parting gift. They happen to be among the worst emissions offenders ever and were introduced before new clean diesel standards went national. Note that you cannot buy the CDIs in California or New York states. Dr. Z. looked so proud in this commercial, but he could not admit to the school kids that he was helping to promote child asthma.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Still in denial

Originally Posted by spinner
Yep. The CDIs (proper designation, Common-rail Diesel Injection) is the parting gift. They happen to be among the worst emissions offenders ever and were introduced before new clean diesel standards went national.
I thought "bluetec" was the solution to all diesel emission problems. Is there something about the CDI versus the traditional distribution pump setups that has a problem?

I'd thought the CDI use of computer driven valves offered greater timing options than traditional mechanical injection systems. I would be interested in reading any source material about CDI problems with emissions.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indigo
Yes, I also wonder why GM/Chrysler/Ford are so unwilling to produce hybrid cars. Is there any reason by BAS couldn't be adapted to a Cobalt and an Aevo? And where is the Ford Fusion hybrid that's been rumored about for the past three years? Or doesn't Ford want to compete against the Camry Hybrid and the Altima Hybrid? Oh... and I guess they're not worried about Honda's two compact hybrids for 2009 that are going to sell in the $18k-$20k range and get 50 MPG. ::sigh::

Open your wallets, fellow taxpayers. The Big Three are going to SUV-produce themselves to the brink of bankruptcy and then beg for a great big government bailout on our dime.
Hi Indigo- you are right on target! Proof is in the pudding- FACT- GM has been coaxed by BIG OIL as far back as 2000 (roughly) when they CRUSHED THE EV1 and sold the battery rights to Chevron/Texaco. Now, if that isn't in bed with BIG OIL- I do not know what is. Oh and that is the same time they bought the rights to one of the most inefficient GAS GUZZLERS on the road today- THE HUMMER. Now, since gas is probably going to approach $5/gallon- let's see how many of the HUMMERS GM crushes now. My guess, they will continue to mass produce them!

Too bad, the American car makers just cannot wake up to smell the coffee instead of sipping BIG OIL!

Quick Reply: Still in denial

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands