Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Since when is Consumer Reports so ridiculously wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: This is one "Very-Interesting" Thread I think :)

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Monkey; Your (point) is well taken as far as why people take FE so serious, especially as you point out in your post in this Forum, I think perhaps your reading more into my comments than there true meaning. I was only trying to point out that there is more to these Hybrids than just FE and like I said in my post once again (Although-FE-is Important) it's not the only thing or reason to want to purchase one. I also said if you will re-read my post that my (Under-My-Driving-Situation) the 03 HCH did not do well, I did not say that there was anything wrong with the HCH in general other than (Once-Again-In-My-Situation) I could not keep the Battery Pack Charged, I don't really think that I was "Slamming" the HCH vehicle. If you read (And-I-Guess-You-Did) that I think the HCH is Terrible & Lousy then I obviously did a very poor job the first time in my original post. Hope this helps to
clarify.

Terry
It did seem that you were decrying the seriousness for which people take fuel economy, which I haven't seen it potrayed by anyone here as life and death. (Even though I haven't been a member that long, I was a lurker for 6 months before I joined). You are right that there are more to hybrids than FE, although this is not necessarily true for everyone (or for that matter, most of the media).

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression, I really didn't think you were HCH bashing at all or that you thought the HCH was a lousy car. Only that you were disappointed in it's performance in your driving situation. Again, my point is that in your driving situation, the EPA cannot be used as a realistic goal without negative feelings.

I understood that the HCH did not do well in your situation, which unless your situation has changed, a new HCH will probably do as poorly (in the FE dept.). The basic engineering is pretty much the same, except the capacity to shut down the engine more, but with max a/c and short trips this would make minimal difference IMO.

Last edited by Monkey; 10-10-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: This is one "Very-Interesting" Thread I think :)

Originally Posted by Monkey
It did seem that you were decrying the seriousness for which people take fuel economy, which I haven't seen it potrayed by anyone here as life and death. (Even though I haven't been a member that long, I was a lurker for 6 months before I joined). You are right that there are more to hybrids than FE, although this is not necessarily true for everyone (or for that matter, most of the media).

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression, I really didn't think you were HCH bashing at all or that you thought the HCH was a lousy car. Only that you were disappointed in it's performance in your driving situation. Again, my point is that in your driving situation, the EPA cannot be used as a realistic goal without negative feelings.

I understood that the HCH did not do well in your situation, which unless your situation has changed, a new HCH will probably do as poorly (in the FE dept.). The basic engineering is pretty much the same, except the capacity to shut down the engine more, but with max a/c and short trips this would make minimal difference IMO.
Monkey; I think the 06 HCH will do better in my short and city/bumper to bumper traffic situation than the 03 HCH but I also think or agree with you that it probably will not meet the FE rating by the EPA standards. The reason I want to try again is because I really like the Civic/HCH car anyway and with the new technology plus in my case the added benefit of Nav. & X/M satellite Radio options I think I will be very satisfied and I hope with the changes made by Honda that the Battery Pack will stay charged and from what I have read it sounds like they have really addresed this on the 06 HCH so it can drive the HCH at speeds up to 35MPH without the ICE running. I'm really excited about the vehicle.

Thanks for your recent post:

Terry