Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

For those of you who would prefer to use a quick reference, step by step high voltage shut down field guide rather than shuffle thru tons of pages of Mfgs Emergency Response Guides you may want to check out our Hybrid Hazards Co. website at www.HybridHazards.info We've just recently released a Hybrid Vehicle High Voltage Shut Down Procedure Field Guide for First Responders that covers over 24 Hybrid Models including the Enova School bus..

Each vehicle's specific shut down procedure is outlined all on one page per/vehicle. On the back of each vehicles shut down procedure information page is a section lined for Notes should you desire to jot down some notes on that particular Hybrid vehicle.

Hope this info helps you out some...

Take care,
Pat B.
www.HybridHazards.info

Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Well isn't it interesting M.Moser, who just knows how unsafe a hybrid is 1. doesn't own one. 2. makes money for selling the "Hybrid Hazzards" BS... follow the money the motive is usually clear.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by m.mosher
Well you better read up on the ERG for the ford escape before you make a statement like that. I also suggest you read the shut down times. Knowledge is power and the lack of knowledge can cause serious injury or death. John Emery is an instructor that has done live training on hybrids. He has found in fire situations that Hybrids do not always shut down. This can mean a high voltage cable that is not only still powered up but may no longer appear orange in color. I honestly suggest before you make any statements you read the manufacturers guides. I have been doing research for the company I am employed by since January of 2008. We have talked to trainers, first responders and the makers of the ERG guides and yes they have many safety features built in but no gurantees.
Hmmm...I work as a first responder and have read several of the manufacturer ERGs (I am looking at the complete Honda guide with the updates for the 2006+ Civic now). The orange sheath may melt away, though I honestly think you're panhandling fear and ignorance, similar to Hurst with their special insulated Jaws for hybrids. I really don't appreciate you trying to make a buck by making first repsonders a) fearful and b) look bad by implying they won't rescue or don't know how to handle hybrids. The fact that you have only 3 posts shows how much you have to contribute here.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
There is nothing in the car ( IE, Capacitors ) that take "10 minutes to power down".

That is false. In case of accident, it is either on or off.
I suppose, if hit "just right" the car could stay on.
P.S. You can submege a hybrid car in a pool or lake, and nothing bad will happen. Well, you may void your warranty!

Bustin' Myths since 2005....

I don't know who this troll m.mosher is or who what company he supposedly works for, but he has no clue what he is talking about

Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue198
I do and teach Vehicle Rescue for a living, there are a few falicies in these posts. First off after all the hype we have discovered after cutting these vehicles apart, all the hype is for not. It is allot like the myths when Airbags were new in cars - rescuers were scaredof them also.

We treat every car the same- assess the incident, chock the wheels, stabilize the car, either have the occupant or a rescue shut the car off and put it in park or a gear for a manual trans. As we all know this stops any current in the lines to the battery/motor

IF a pre crash sensor acivates the current is disabled and the car is a gas powered vehicel, if and airbag activates or damage to the undercarage the same occurs. It is not really a hybrid vehicle after a crash.

At a crash scene you can not here a car running or not- the sound of a police car, fire engine, rescue truck, and medic unit will drown the sound out so we always check to see if the car ignition is in the off position

Rescuers do not wear special gloves for electrical hazards - fire gloves are thick leather (Elk, Kangaroo, Cow) with a Gore liner. Extrication gloves are like mechanics gloves (made by the same companies) with more kevlar for protection. There were a few manufactures like Hurst and Rescue Jack who tried to put a toolon the market that was just for the Hybrid hype- all have been discontinued

We don't look at the wiring much because all cars can have orange or blue wiring - a big three phase orange wire is common sense - don't lick it.

Most of the ERG (emerency Response Guides) don't give you much useful information. We use a computer program that scans the vin and pops up on the tablet computer with the hazards in the vehicle. AT a crash scene most of the time it is not a possibility to work on getting to a fuse, etc when a life is on the line and you know the car is a car and we cut them all the time. I have cut at least 10 hybrids at crashes - get over the hype, it is a car.

Well said, as a fellow first responder I'm glad somebody here that proports to represent fire/EMS knows what they're talking about.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Every hybrid Manufacturer has Emergency Response guides for there vehicles available to everyone that wants to look at them. If you think what I am saying isn't true check out the guides put out by Toyota, Honda, General Motors, Nissan, Mercury, lexus etc. I'm not trying to scare anyone I am just trying to make them aware of the precautions they need to take. I can assure you if you look at all the different vehicles out there you will find what I say is true. The biggest thing to note is that what holds true for one make may not hold true for another. I have taken several Hybrid courses from all different companies on all different makes. I speak the truth. I also am a very big supporter of hybrids and any other alternate fuel vehcile. The last thing I want to see is someone hurt by a hybrid. Knowledge is power lack of knowledge leads to fear and mistrust. Read all the ERg's out there from front to back and you will see that the statements Ihave made are true.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Engineering first

Caution: back to facts and data. Leave out the opinions of personalities. Facts and data are safe.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Energy Independence

Mike, I have the 3 pdf's for the Hondas:
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Guide
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Guide (2006 supplement)
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Quick Reference

(I tried uploading them here, but it keeps failing. I'm sure it's just me...)

I just now read them again. Unless there's a newer update, I don't see anything related to a discharging time-frame for the hybrid systems.

I DO see up to 3 minutes for the airbags to deactivate (which we all KNEW, right?)

Is there something I'm missing?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast

Here is one example. It is for the 2008 Toyota Highlander. It is on page 15 of the ERG It is in a warning box and it states that it may take up to ten minutes for the high voltage system to completely shut down. That is just one example. That is one of the most important things I learned about the hybrid vehicles. They are not all the same. What is true for one make or model may not be for another. Just for your info. I'm not trying to argue any ponit. I just want people to be informed.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Think green.

Here are some links for the Honda hybrid models. There are various links for different cars on google. Keep trying links until you find one that works. Sometimes you have to go a few pages into the link before you see the printed material, due to a "blank" page.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...eb/ERS2006.pdf

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...I/AXX28935.pdf

http://midsouthrescue.tripod.com/sit...iles/civic.pdf

And for various other cars, try:

http://sfsafetraining.com/aeg.html

Last edited by Gairwyn; 12-13-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands