Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

In the Hybrid's Wake, Big 3 Trying to Catch Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: In the Hybrid's Wake, Big 3 Trying to Catch Up

Originally Posted by MGBGT
I'll readily admit that it's not easy for foreign companies to do business in Japan, but protectionism is not the whole story, and I wonder to what extent it is an excuse. For years most US cars were not even offered in RHD version in Japan. I certainly would never buy a car in the US that was not offered in LHD version. To my knowledge, most US cars are still not offered in RHD version, in countries that drive on the other side of the road. How can you expect to do business like that? ...
Holden Motors is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM based in Australia. All of the vehicles produced by Holden, with the minor exception of those shipped to the Middle East, are RHD. They still face significant trade barriers for import into Japan and you won't find many of them there. Likewise Opel vehicles built in Europe, Thailand, and other parts of the world. As you pointed out, US sized vehicles are typically not optimal in size and proportion for all parts of the world, but the vehicles built by Holden and Opel certainly fit the profile of Japanese market sizing and the do come in RHD. Protectionism IS a big deal in Japan.

China has a slightly different approach. They push for local content. GM, Buick and Cadillac in particular, do VERY well in China. We have plants there that manufacture engines and transmissions and we have vehicle assembly plants there.

Peace,

James