Wake Up Noises Have Stopped

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Wake Up Noises Have Stopped

My '05 Escape has stopped making the "wake up" pump sounds that it used to make. These are the electric pump noises it makes when you first open a door and it charges up the braking system pressure. The only thing new that I can think of is that the weather is colder now. Should I be on the watch for a problem? Everything seems to work fine once I start it up. I have had the 10K miles service but no other visits to the dealer.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Wake Up Noises Have Stopped

Does your battery indicate that it is taking a charge when moderate brake pressure is being applied?

My 05 FEH has always done the regen brake charge noise generally after 15 minutes from the time it was shut off. I want to know is why it does it just by opening the door rather than waiting for you to put the key in the ignition, seems like a waste of battery power.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have not looked at that for awhile, so will have to get back to you on this. I do know that usually opening a door would cause things to start humming, etc., before putting in the key.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

All I can say is... yes... it stays pressurized for +/- 10 minutes after you have last used it.

Also, a key press to remote lock / unlock also pressurizes the brakes.
( It is beyond weird why it does this when you LOCK the car... obviously you are going nowhere soon... )
It makes some sense to pressurize the brakes when you open the door.
Since it takes 3-5 seconds to do so, it wants to be ready as soon as you hit the pedal. I like this, so when I want to back down my sloped driveway, ( in Neutral ) I can still have brakes w/o starting the car.

Maybe if you didn't hear the sound when you thought you should... perhaps you hit the remote key, even by mistake in your pocket... even while still in the house. ( My remote has pretty good range )

Do some deliberate tests and let us know what you find out. Thanks.
-John

Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

If it has really stopped pressurizing, I'd take it in for service.