Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Green Is The New Red White and Blue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Green Is The New Red White and Blue

Agreed. The flight school/Fixed Base Operator my husband and I used to fly (rental) aircraft out of loaned the use of its parking lot to the San Antonio Spurs basketball team whenever they had an away-game. There were MANY Hummers (no H1's, though; not practical for most city driving) and other large vehicles -- large SUVs, pickups, etc. -- and a few convertibles of various types. At first glance, one would say, "Figures. They make enough to afford it." While that's certainly the case of major sports figures, the following is equally valid -- these guys are TALL. They do not FIT in normal sized vehicles comfortably, so they either get a really big vehicle or a convertible (so head room is unlimited).

If you took a look at all the Hummers and oversized vehicles on the lot, you'd notice one commonality very quickly -- the driver's seats in almost all the vehicles were pushed so far back as to be invisible (hidden behind the pillar between front & back doors) or appear as though they were in the back seat. Proof of the leg room someone who is NBA height needs to drive/ride comfortably/safely.

Terrorist sympathizer? Ugly phrase, and illogical, though per the NSA apparently all Americans are potentially in that camp.

Originally Posted by gonavy
Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion.

These are the sort of statements that are nothing more than flamebait and do
nobody any favors. Please stop. This is nothing more than W's 'with us or against us' (or Anakin's?) turned on its head.

I'm waiting for one of Rush or O'Reilley's lackeys to find that post and then start talking it up in AM radio... lot of good that'll do the cause.

Tolerance.

Generalizations and stereotypes exist because they are true often enough, but be really careful when applying them. Especially with qualifiers like 'anyone' or 'everyone' or lumping a hardcore Marine in with Richard Reid.

It only takes a single case to disprove such a statement; then it looks absurd and gets ignored.

Clearly not ALL who buy large vehicles for personal use are simply picking up Molly and her friends from school, using all 3 rows of seats. Boats, campers, landscaping-on-the-side, etc... all valid reasons for a family to have a larger vehicle.

Of course, I cannot disagree with the 2nd half about buying small purposefully.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As I was perusing that make-your-own-ribbon site, there were a couple of user-supplied entries that were priceless:

"Quite literally, the least I could do"
and
"Easier than sending my son to Iraq"

If Wal-Mart charged $5 for each of those ribbons and was using $3 of it to send body armor to the troops (which our government is finally doing) or using it to help them get flights home when they get leave or donating it to programs to help their spouses deal with having them away for so long or paying volunteers to help veterans wade through paperwork, then they could really say they were supporting the troops.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I agree with that concept. Anyone who purposefully buys a Hummer H2 or a Dodge RAM (which both get 6-8 MPG in "real world" mileage) is really nothing more than a terrorist sympathizer in my opinion. Anyone who purposefully buys a car, truck, or SUV that gets 30 MPG or higher (whether it's hybrid, diesel, conventional, whatever) should feel like they're doing America a favor.
You quote figures that are DEAD wrong and I take exception to you saying about being a terrorist sympathizer! I know people including my son that has a Dodge Ram and yes I tried to talk him out of buying it but gets twice what you quote. Please stop misinformation!While I would never buy either one this IS AMERICA! You sound like FOX news. Anyway I'm outahere Thanks for the nice ride but this place has gotten out of hand!kevin

Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 PM

No offense - but I agree with GoNavy about keeping posts reasonable. Focusing on the solution is the answer. I was never persuaded to change my view or opinion by being called names. I am for any change that moves the country toward the eventual goal of energy independence and I will probably change my mind more than once about what is right in this area, as most of us will. Keeping things civil and positive is the best way for us to make "it" happen. Let's allow each other the freedom to be "wrong" or have different views without being run down. Persuasion and attraction DO work. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

OK. move along, folks. we're done here- gonna kill this off before some blood starts to boil, since the thread never even got into a discussion of the actual article.

Friedman's book is pretty darn good reading, by the way. Challenges a lot of thinking.