Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

GM - "Thanks" <SLAP>

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Engineering first
Default GM - "Thanks" <SLAP>

This has to be one of the worst timed product announcements:

http://jalopnik.com/5115096/2010-che...ok-for-detroit

2010 Chevy Equinox: A New Look For Detroit
By Ben Wojdyla, 12:00 AM on Sun Dec 21 2008
. . .
Surprise! Here's the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox scheduled to make its debut at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. Bet you didn't expect to see this on a Sunday morning did you?
. . .
From a mechanical standpoint, the Equinox will come with a duo of engines, both sporting fancy direct injection technology and fuel sipping credentials for their size — there's even an "Eco" button on the center console which changes the fuel mapping and shift points to give you an extra mile per gallon or two. You get your pick of a 2.4 liter inline four with 185 HP and a 3.0 liter V6 with 255 HP. The I4 puts down 21 city, 30 mpg highway, while the V6 is a bit more thirsty at 18 mpg city, 25 mpg highway. Both of those engines get backed with their own standard six speed transmissions with front wheel drive standard, all wheel drive optional.
. . .
Let's see how this 5 seat SUV compares with the 5 seat Ford Escape Hybrid:
Equinox - Ford Escape Hybrid - Toyota (gas) Venza
21/30 (city/hwy) - 34/31 (city/hwy) - 21/29 (city/hwy)
3,638 lbs - 3770 lbs (curb weight) - 3,760
What where they thinking? Where are the great two-mode hybrids?

So GM is getting some TARP funds to say in business to March and this is their first product announcement. It looks to be competition for the Toyota Venza, not a hybrid killer.

Well at least it isn't an executive jet.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor
Default Re: GM - "Thanks" <SLAP>

I'm just underwhelmed. But then, GM's not so good at coming out with new ideas. Yeah, we need more SUVs. Sure.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
This has to be one of the worst timed product announcements:

http://jalopnik.com/5115096/2010-che...ok-for-detroit

Let's see how this 5 seat SUV compares with the 5 seat Ford Escape Hybrid:
Equinox - Ford Escape Hybrid - Toyota (gas) Venza
21/30 (city/hwy) - 34/31 (city/hwy) - 21/29 (city/hwy)
3,638 lbs - 3770 lbs (curb weight) - 3,760
What where they thinking? Where are the great two-mode hybrids?

So GM is getting some TARP funds to say in business to March and this is their first product announcement. It looks to be competition for the Toyota Venza, not a hybrid killer.

Well at least it isn't an executive jet.

Bob Wilson
C'mon Bob, you know you could be a bit more fair here.

1) Any vehicle being released for production now was concepted years before anyone ever heard of TARP funds.

2) I can tell you that TYPICALLY with a GM product release, the full line-up is not introduced at the start. Generally the most popular configurations are released first, other configurations released in the following months.

There will be hybrid versions released. That is all I can / will say to that.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A fairer comparison would be with the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV as both of these are non-hybrids. When this comparison is done, "oh-my-gosh" the Chevy is more fuel efficient.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Engineering first

Hi Martin,

It was the timing of the product announcement that could have been better. Even waiting a week, anything but the weekend of the TARP funding, would have shown they weren't 'tone deaf.' It is just hard to get enthused over another cross-over SUV when we've had two months of bad news about lots full of unsold SUVs driving GM into bankruptcy requiring TARP funds.

BTW, Huntsville's GM dealership, Bill Heard, went out of business three months ago. It is an empty building and the Mr. Goodwrench shop on University is closed. Sad to say, I didn't think until just now to start a photo inventory of the other dealer lots. Does loss of one major dealer result in better sales at the other lots?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-27-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Billyk
A fairer comparison would be with the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV as both of these are non-hybrids. When this comparison is done, "oh-my-gosh" the Chevy is more fuel efficient.
I have to admit my only exposure to this class of vehicle had been:
  • Venza - seen at the Georgetown plant tour
  • Ford Escape hybrid - early road test
Would you consider researching the 5-seat, cross-over and small SUVs and possibly:
  • plotting City/Hwy mileage points by model (FWD separate AWD)
  • plotting curb weights
I've never really followed SUVs since I have no need for rough road travel. My driving is city and highway. In fact, what separates a cross-over from an full SUV?

Bob Wilson

Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I have to admit my only exposure to this class of vehicle had been:
.... In fact, what separates a cross-over from an full SUV?

Bob Wilson
Inquiring minds want to know....

Not sure that there is a CLEAR industry standard, but I'll try to provide a couple guidelines....

There are two basic ways to construct a vehicle. Body On Frame (BOF) and Body Frame Integral (BFI). All capable trucks and some RWD cars are BOF construction. I would expect that vehicles like Tahoes, Expeditions, Suburbans, Sequoias built off of BOF construction would be considered SUVs.

Crossovers are little more difficult to define. Most FWD vehicles are built off of BFI architectures. I can not think of a single FWD vehicle built off a BOF platform. So, when is a FWD, BFI based vehicle a CUV and when is it an SUV?

To be honest I would personally define FWD + BFI + Liftgate = CUV.

If a more discerning definition is needed, I would suggest that when the original platform for the vehicle is a car platform that is extended to produce an SUV/CUV, then you're probably closer to having a CUV. Problem is, it does not include vehicles like Chevrolet Traverse and Ford Flex that were designed from the ground up without a "donor architecture" being a car or a truck. Both are characterized as CUV. Both are larger than the Equinox which is characterized as a compact SUV.

Then you probably need to look at how the vehicle is intended to be used. Is it for people haulin' or for off-roading or will it involve some towing? And as a final consideration is "how does it drive?" The only argument I could possibly make for calling a Traverse a CUV and the Equinox an SUV is drive quality. When I drive a Traverse it feels like I'm driving a large luxury sedan. When I've driven the previous version of the Equinox, I've felt as though I was driving a small SUV. Some of this driving feel is dictated by driver positioning as well as ride quality and vehicle responsiveness.

Not sure how much any of that helps.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Engineering first

Thanks Martin!

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Inquiring minds want to know....

Not sure that there is a CLEAR industry standard, but I'll try to provide a couple guidelines....

There are two basic ways to construct a vehicle. Body On Frame (BOF) and Body Frame Integral (BFI). All capable trucks and some RWD cars are BOF construction. I would expect that vehicles like Tahoes, Expeditions, Suburbans, Sequoias built off of BOF construction would be considered SUVs.

Crossovers are little more difficult to define. Most FWD vehicles are built off of BFI architectures. I can not think of a single FWD vehicle built off a BOF platform. So, when is a FWD, BFI based vehicle a CUV and when is it an SUV?

If a more discerning definition is needed, I would suggest that when the original platform for the vehicle is a car platform that is extended to produce an SUV/CUV, then you're probably closer to having a CUV. Problem is, it does not include vehicles like Chevrolet Traverse and Ford Flex that were designed from the ground up without a "donor architecture" being a car or a truck. Both are characterized as CUV. Both are larger than the Equinox which is characterized as a compact SUV.

Then you probably need to look at how the vehicle is intended to be used. Is it for people haulin' or for off-roading or will it involve some towing? And as a final consideration is "how does it drive?" The only argument I could possibly make for calling a Traverse a CUV and the Equinox an SUV is drive quality. When I drive a Traverse it feels like I'm driving a large luxury sedan. When I've driven the previous version of the Equinox, I've felt as though I was driving a small SUV. Some of this driving feel is dictated by driver positioning as well as ride quality and vehicle responsiveness.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by martinjlm
I really appreciate your input here, Martin.

I understand what you are saying, but, as written, you would be including virtually all hatchbacks and less than full size station wagons and some sport coupes as CUVs. Doesn't there need to be a minimal ground clearance or some other differentiator?

-- Alan

Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
I really appreciate your input here, Martin.

I understand what you are saying, but, as written, you would be including virtually all hatchbacks and less than full size station wagons and some sport coupes as CUVs. Doesn't there need to be a minimal ground clearance or some other differentiator?

-- Alan
As an "industry insider" I would. As a "consumer" I probably would not. That's part of the problem. Figuring out who is buying "CUVs" and why. Is a Chevrolet HHR an SUV, a CUV or a compact car? EPA categorizes it as an SUV because it has a flat load floor and with the back seats folded down, it has more cargo area than passenger area. Motor Trend also categorizes it as an SUV. Edmunds.com categorizes it as a compact wagon and Car & Driver categorizes it as a station wagon.

Personally, as an industry guy, I think compact wagon is the best classification for HHR. But that is factoring in the things you talk about. For many consumers, that's talking over their heads and/or splitting hairs that they don't necessarily split.

Martin

Quick Reply: GM - "Thanks" <SLAP>

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands