Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

First quarter auto sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Toyota tops GM in 1st quarter sales

Probably posted elsewhere but just in case ...
Toyota tops GM in 1st quarter sales
Toyota Motor Corp. became the world's top auto seller in the first three months of the year, passing rival General Motors Corp. for the first time, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18286221/

Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Banned
Default Re: Toyota tops GM in 1st quarter sales

Last time GM lost it's #1 position was 1931.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Engineering first
Unhappy First quarter auto sales

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Toyota Tops Auto Industry as Sales Surpass GM
By Howard Schneider
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 24, 2007; 10:14 AM

General Motors Corp., for 70 years the lead player in the global automotive industry, fell to second place during the first three months of this year when its sales slipped behind those of Japanese industrial giant Toyota Motor Corp.
Driven by sales of its popular Camry and fuel-efficient Prius hybrid, Toyota on Tuesday reported global sales of 2.35 million vehicles in the first quarter of 2007, about 90,000 more vehicles than the quarterly sales reported by GM late last week.
. . .
I have no joy in this.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-24-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Removed emphasis inadvertantly copied from article
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First quarter auto sales

As you sow, so shall you reap...

Harry

Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I hope Toyota does fall in the trap of hitting #1 and then dropping the ball on quality. I already think their paint quality is worse than the US makers.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I hope Toyota does fall in the trap of hitting #1 and then dropping the ball on quality. I already think their paint quality is worse than the US makers.
I have to agree about paint quality. The paint thickness on the TCH is the thinnest of any car I have ever owned. Even the littlest scrape or stone ding goes right through the color layer. The scratch can not even be felt, but the car's color layer is gone.

Now the paint LOOKS good for now, but I don't think the longevity is going to be very good and it's resistance to scratches is nil.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast

Bob,
You find no joy in this? You have 2 Toyotas!
GM's just dosen't make as good cars as Toyota. They haven't kept up with the play. You having a hybrid, also confirming this slightly, maybe? If GM's get there act together, they might increase there sales again.
As I am not an American, I may look at this differently than you. From what I hear the build quality of Toyota is far better then GM. The rest of the world does't have the cheap gas you have so we tend to buy more fuel efficent cars than most Americans. It cost me over $110.00 to fill my tank on the Estima and $50.00 on the Vitz (echo). It hurts on the budget when you have to fill up.
Bob on a whole I think Toyota make better cars but that doesn't mean that GM's don't make some good ones.

Mark v

Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Spaceship
You find no joy in this? You have 2 Toyotas!
Our last GM car was a Chevette. It was a disaster: noisy, uncomfortable, a 30,000 mile (48,000 km) clutch, tolerable efficiency.
Originally Posted by Wiki
Tom: The fifth Worst Car of the Millennium is the Chevy Chevette. As one reader described it: 'An engine surrounded by four pieces of drywall.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevette
My wife hated the car and I got tired of replacing the clutch every 18 months.

. . . From what I hear the build quality of Toyota is far better then GM. The rest of the world does't have the cheap gas you have so we tend to buy more fuel efficent cars than most Americans. It cost me over $110.00 to fill my tank on the Estima and $50.00 on the Vitz (echo). It hurts on the budget when you have to fill up.
It hurts everyone's budget and sometimes is paid for in blood.

. . . Bob on a whole I think Toyota make better cars but that doesn't mean that GM's don't make some good ones.
I think GM is capable of designing and making better cars but they have trouble getting them to the showroom floor. I've test driven the Saturn VUE green and don't need to repeat that experience.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-25-2007 at 02:40 AM.