Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN Money.com article on SUV Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNN Money.com article on SUV Hybrids

Originally Posted by chesterakl
Aha - whew, I thought I was losing it for a minute there looking for that and that I missed it somehow.

You know, I think I would tend to disagree with that somewhat. I think market forces would get it done - if gas prices would push up high enough to change the thinking (and the government wouldn't try to intervene with politics and try to "look out for the consumer"). If gas would get up to $5 or $6 per gallon (and stay there) - I think THAT would create enough of a paradigm shift to start changing the minds of a lot more people. Right now there still isn't enough pain at the pump to change the majority of the public's mind. I seriously don't think anything will happen until the price of gas gets to a point where everyone will have to change their way of life - and we aren't there yet. I don't think even $4 gas will really do it, but it'd be close.

If gas were to get to that point, everyone would be demanding the products that were more efficient and that would fuel (no pun intended) a dynamic expansion of money and effort into the research and development of these technologies. Right now they're saying "eh, it's nice and if the price is relatively close to what I can get for something similar I'll consider it, but it's not a necessity". It's all still going to be driven by supply and demand, and the real demand just isn't there yet. I think we're just starting to see a little bit of it show up, but not the multi-fold increase in demand that would be needed to change people's minds.

Obviously that would throw the whole economy into a tizzy, but I don't think we can get that paradigm shift that's needed without it.
I think market forces are already at work. That is why you see a Hybrid Camry, Highlander, and a few Hybrid Lexus models. It's also why GM is coming out with 2-mode truck and SUV. Market forces take a while to work themselves out and I think we are just at the beginning of that. People don't change their habits overnight. And cars have a much longer life time than DVD players and VCR's which is why it takes much longer to get market penetration.