Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Farewell, HAH

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Farewell, HAH

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070605/japan_honda_hybrid.html

Honda will discontinue the hybrid version of its Accord sedans, the company said Tuesday, ceding Toyota's dominance of the market with its Prius hybrid....
Alas, poor Accord Hybrid! I knew him, Horatio.

Apparently sales were slow, the Prius was better-known, the HCH was more fuel-efficient, and the HAH just couldn't compete. I'm sure none of us here are very surprised; I wasn't. But let us all take a moment and mourn the demise of another option in the all-too-narrow selection of hybrid options available to customers in the US.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned
Default Re: Farewell, HAH

If they had a 5-speed version - it is the very last of manual transmission hybrids.

My dream hybrid would be a full hybrid with a 5-speed - the best of IMA and HSD technologies.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Honda is moving out of the hybrid market, and into the Clean Diesel/Natural Gas one, this was revealed at NAIAS. Expect the HCH to fade away sometime in 2009 or 2010.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Is Honda completely getting out of the hybrid market?

I could be out of the loop, but under the impression the HCH is not dead, and they will make a hybrid Fit or something that size.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Vegetarian

What about diesel hybrids?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
What about diesel hybrids?
The last thing I read about the demise of the Accord (two days ago) was that Honda was going to introduce a new hybrid in 2009, contrary to what Pravus Prime stated above.

I can only hope that the reason it's going to take them so long to replace the Accord is because the next hybrid will be a diesel. But that's probably wishful thinking. There was a guy on here about a year ago who claimed to be from Honda, and was asking about a small sports car hybrid-- which I assume led to that sporty sub-compact hybrid concept car they introduced -- I thought at the NAIAS, but maybe not:

Last edited by stevejust; 06-06-2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added Remix photo
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To see more comments on this issue, see the thread started on this topic (after mine, I might add) by Jason:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rid.13869.html

Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Honda is moving out of the hybrid market, and into the Clean Diesel/Natural Gas one, this was revealed at NAIAS. Expect the HCH to fade away sometime in 2009 or 2010.
Not at all. That could not be furthest from the truth.

Honda is commited to their hybrid technology. The only difference is that they will apply hybrid technology to small platforms and their Clean Diesel tech to the larger platforms (Accord and above). This fact has been beaten to death over the last 3 years.

Their perspective is that hybrid technology offers diminishing returns for larger platforms and achieves the best results in the smaller ones. By 2010 they will return to having at least 2 distinct hybrid vehicles where one of them is a dedicated platform.

Cheers;

MSantos