Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

4 SUV Drivers Steal $8,100 of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: 4 SUV Drivers Steal $8,100 of Gas

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Isn't leaving without paying for gas also a federal offence, too?
Why would it be a federal offense? Most theft/larceny, unless it involves government property, crosses state lines, etc., is governed by STATE penal laws. (Not to say this would not be a crime, and possibly a felony, but I can't figure why it would be a *federal* offense. Sorry if I'm nitpicking.)

Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Banned

Honestly don't know, but the pumps I freuently have a picture of a Texas State Trooper warning against leaving without paying...

Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm not a lawyer (not even close!), but doesn't a felony just mean an offense that is more serious than a misdemeanor? I know at least one state does not even have the felony/misdemeanor designation anymore. I don't think it has to be a federal offense (breaking a federal law) in order to be a felony.

But I could be wrong.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

A felony is a penality that could be punishable by a year or more.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Yeah, that's right. Here in NY, a felony is any crime for which the punishment can exceed 1 year imprisonment. I *think* (I'm a civil attorney, not a criminal one!) that in addition to the felony/misdemeanor distinction at the state level (i.e., crimes defined by state law, prosecuted in state court and punished by imprisonment in state correctional facilities), there may also be a similar distinction among Federal crimes (crimes defined by federal law, prosecuted in federal courts, and punished by imprisonment in federal correctional facilities).

But I still don't think theft of gas would be a federal crime. A serious state crime, most likely, perhaps a felony (usually depends on the value of the goods/services stolen), but not a federal crime.

State troopers, or any local cops (county sheriffs or local police), SHOULD, however, be most interested in pursuing individuals who have stolen gas, regardless of whether it is a state or federal crime. I do truly wonder what was going on here??

Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
Assuming they've got 32 gallon tanks (Suburban=31, H2=32, Escalade=26, Expedition=28), where did the other 669 gallons go?
Maybe they kept their engines running while they filled up. That ought to do it...

What's equally strange - I've always felt that folks that can afford those vehicles probably aren't scraping together pennies to buy the gas. Seems like a huge risk for a tank of gas. I'm with Delta - probably more to this story.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Hybrid Wanna-be

what is really strange is that if a Texas DPS (I.e. state trooper) sees an illegal immigrant crossing the border, they can only watch. Unless they break a Texas law, they can do nothing. Illegally entering the country is a Federal Crime and federal officials must make the arrest. Kind of a stupid law if you ask me.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...af801f&k=28898

Diesel worth $2,200 siphoned from station

Thieves tapped into an eight-metre-deep diesel tank at a Chevron station and escaped with fuel worth about $2,200.

"Rising fuel prices may have sparked this, but when it comes down to it, a thief is a thief," Chevron spokeswoman Deidre Reid said yesterday.

Police believe the thief struck the automated station at 1st Avenue and Clark Drive in Vancouver late Monday or early Tuesday.

The thief cut the lock on an access cover and would have required a five or 10-tonne truck with either a fuel tank or multiple barrels for storage.

"Anyone who sees suspicious activities around their neighbourhood pumps" should call police, said Const. Tim Fanning.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Hybrid True Believer

[QUOTE=sweetbeet]Yeah, that's right. Here in NY, a felony is any crime for which the punishment can exceed 1 year imprisonment. I *think* (I'm a civil attorney, not a criminal one!) that in addition to the felony/misdemeanor distinction at the state level (i.e., crimes defined by state law, prosecuted in state court and punished by imprisonment in state correctional facilities), there may also be a similar distinction among Federal crimes (crimes defined by federal law, prosecuted in federal courts, and punished by imprisonment in federal correctional facilities).

QUOTE]

Not in Maryland! We have felonies that can get you as little as 3 years and Misdemeanors that can get you 10 years.