Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New prius owner, 600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default New prius owner, 600 miles

My question for now is: I'm entiteled to a Fed tax credit...Is that taken care of at tax time or do I have to fill out some paperwork to sort of get in line to take advantage of the offer...thanks, Tom

Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Vegetarian
Default Re: New prius owner, 600 miles

I can't let anyone get by without a welcome, so welcome!
I'm not sure about the tax thing, I bought my HCH used so I was ineligible. I think you wait till tax time.. If worse come to worse I'm sureyou could provide some paperwork showing when you bought the car, and the VIN number, which tells what # the car was off the line. The way I understand it, the tax credit is good until each brand sells a certain number of hybrids, so when you buy the car is more important than when you claim the credit. If anyone knows I've got it wrong, please correct me.
The California HOV stickers on the other hand are a first come first served basis, so if you need one, get one ASAP... if they still have them, I don't know.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New prius owner, 600 miles

I would suggest reviewing the URL I have provided below for more information. You do have some work to do if you want to claim your TAX credit. I am not a TAX guy just found a good link to get you going. Good Luck...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid_new.shtml