Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD. I have about 2000 miles already and I'm averaging 37 MPG from tank to tank. Having read this forum and others, it appears that I'm getting better MPG than many owners. When I purchased it I was hoping for 32. I'm elated that I'm getting 37, however the pessimist in me is worried that it's a fluke and will get worse as time goes on. How does FE change as the engine gets broke in? Should I expect worse or better as time goes on or seasons change. Is this the best time of the year for a Hybrid in terms on FE (80s to 90s). I'm just trying to figure out how I'm getting such good FE when all my other cars have done worse than what was published. My daily commute starts with 12 miles of rolling rural roads (35-45 MPH) followed by 18 miles of highway (5 of which is 65 MPH) and ends with 3 miles of city streets. I have a total of about 4 stop lights and 3 stop signs. It doesn't seem like an idea commute for a hybrid given the amount of highway miles and limited start/stops, but it seems to give it plenty of opportunities to charge the batteries.

Also, is it just me or does it get old answering "What do you do when the batteries run down - how do you charge it."

Thanks,
Joe

Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner

For one thing, published EPA estimates were based on a 1970's study of traffic patterns and they were updated for 2008. So the same car sold in 2007 typically showed a higher EPA estimate than in '08. So if you used to be just under the estimate, it is likely you'll be a bit over the new one.

Also, fuel economy for all cars is somewhat weather dependent. Summer/Winter fuel mixtures aside, cold engines don't perform as well and cold battery packs don't take a charge as well. Warmer weather will net you higher FE. You'll take a hit in the winter depending on how far north you live.

I don't get that many 'how do you charge it' questions, but I do get a lot about switching between electric and gas (is it automatic, is it clunky, etc.)

Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joecd77
I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD. I have about 2000 miles already and I'm averaging 37 MPG from tank to tank. Having read this forum and others, it appears that I'm getting better MPG than many owners. When I purchased it I was hoping for 32. I'm elated that I'm getting 37, however the pessimist in me is worried that it's a fluke and will get worse as time goes on. How does FE change as the engine gets broke in? Should I expect worse or better as time goes on or seasons change. Is this the best time of the year for a Hybrid in terms on FE (80s to 90s). I'm just trying to figure out how I'm getting such good FE when all my other cars have done worse than what was published. My daily commute starts with 12 miles of rolling rural roads (35-45 miles per hour) followed by 18 miles of highway (5 of which is 65 MPH) and ends with 3 miles of city streets. I have a total of about 4 stop lights and 3 stop signs. It doesn't seem like an idea commute for a hybrid given the amount of highway miles and limited start/stops, but it seems to give it plenty of opportunities to charge the batteries.

Also, is it just me or does it get old answering "What do you do when the batteries run down - how do you charge it."

Thanks,
Joe
Your commute could easily return mid 40's MPG with nice weather. 12 miles of rolling rural roads @35-45 MPH should yield big numbers if you don't use cruise control and minimize A/C use. I would say you're a lot closer to an ideal commute for the FEH than many others.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations! Glad to hear you are getting such great fuel economy...I hope it continues.

Regarding gasoline, there is conventional gasoline and then there is reformulated/oxygenated gasoline (RFG). Summer RFG contains approximately 1.0% less energy per gallon than summer conventional gasolines. Therefore, you can expect your FEH's fuel economy to be reduced on average by 1.0%. Winter RFG contains approximately 3.0% less energy per gallon than winter conventional gasolines. Therefore, you can expect your FEH's fuel economy to be reduced on average by 3.0% during the winter.

I have never observed any noticeable increase or decrease. Many people say MPG increase as the engine breaks-in, however, I have never seen that happen. I think that might have been the case many years ago, but engineering and manufacturing has advanced to where that is not the case anymore.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!

As you've already discovered, you are in for a treat. However, you might want to plan for cold weather operation too. I don't know if there are block heaters for Ford Escapes but that would be good investment to put in before it drops below 50F.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Originally Posted by joecd77
I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD. I have about 2000 miles already and I'm averaging 37 MPG from tank to tank. Having read this forum and others, it appears that I'm getting better MPG than many owners. When I purchased it I was hoping for 32. I'm elated that I'm getting 37, however the pessimist in me is worried that it's a fluke and will get worse as time goes on. How does FE change as the engine gets broke in? Should I expect worse or better as time goes on or seasons change. Is this the best time of the year for a Hybrid in terms on FE (80s to 90s)...
Hi Joe

Congratulations on your new FEH
At 37mpg, you're off to a *good* start The break-in period on the FEH is longer than a conventional ICE vehicle - I've heard it can be as much as 10,000mi. What I *can* tell you from personal experience is that in 3yrs.+ of ownership, my mpg's continue to go *up* Even in our WI winters, which can put a big dent in FE, my numbers have shown relative improvement - this past winter, I only had 1 tank with less than 35mpg

...Also, is it just me or does it get old answering "What do you do when the batteries run down - how do you charge it."

Thanks,
Joe
Getting an opening to talk about my FEH *NEVER* gets old