Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Mailman's new Prius

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Mailman's new Prius

Hi ,
I'm a rural mail carrier from South Dakota. I just bought a 2005 Prius to drive on my mail route. My former vehicle got 15 mpg but I did manage to get 45 out of the Prius. What a great car! I would like to chat with other carriers with these vehicles, so don't be shy, write!!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mailman's new Prius

That cool that u got a Prius. What car did u have before that.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributor ($)

Welcome aboard Mailman. It will be interesting to hear your mpg results with such a unique driving situation.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
I used to drive a Chevy S-10 ext. cab., V-6. I've still got it but it doesn't see much daylite these days. The Prius only has 4.5 inches of clearance so as soon as the snow falls, the Chevy comes out. They do make a right hand drive for Europe, I'd like to see them import a couple thousand just for mail carriers. There is alot of useable room in the back. Years and years ago I drove a postal jeep and although I don't need that much room, it sure is nice to have it.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

The driving is certainly unique. I put on 137 miles a day, with 125 stops, 6 days a wk. The first day I got the car, I got 53mpg. the second day, 45 mpg. and I've worked my way back up to over 50 mpg. The problem is retraining yourself to not jackrabbit start,but start smoothly, then pulse and glide. I've also noticed that if I accelerate going down hill and try to glide up them, that it registers a better average mileage. Also, coasting is another feature that requires extra work to perfect. At 40 mph, how far can you coast. Well out here, I figure that 3 .5 power poles is just about right. I don't know that exact distance between poles, maybe 120 ft. Anyway, it gives me something to think about.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jerry,

When I P&G, I don't worry about the distances. I just get up to 40 mph, and then glide down to whatever I feel like or conditions dictate -- anywhere from 30 - 37. If a hill is coming up, I accelerate up, and try to time it so that I am going about 40 at the crest. Gliding can be extended by holding down the gas pedal a bit to disconnect the generator from the wheels, or a bit more to use some of your battery charge.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands