Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Magnetic Gray Metallic 2008 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Newbie Enthusiast
Default Magnetic Gray Metallic 2008 TCH

My son totaled the Mercedes wagon (he was, thankfully, unharmed) and so it was time for a new car. We considered two choices: 1. replace my wife's Mercedes with a Lexus; 2. give her my Acura 3.2 TL and get a new commuter car for my 90 miles per day (she drives less than 10K per year). We've been talking about hybrids for months and we have many friends who drive them with satisfaction.

We drove the Lexus - a nice ride - and then tried the 2008 Camry Hybrid. We were both surprised by its responsiveness (not quite the Acura, but close) and its luxury, so we decided to reduce our footprint, as they say. While looking at the TCH, we sat in a Camry XLE and really liked the wood grain. I asked for it in the Hybrid but was informed it was not a factory option. The dealer offered to install it through a custom shop, assuring us it would be a great addition. We took them up on it and have been so impressed by the look. I would show you some pics if I only knew how to post them.

I am now driving a luxury car that gets fabulous gas mileage. For the past 15 years, I have driven Mercedes, BMW, and Acura. I am perfectly satisfied with this new TCH in terms of driveability and comfort. Having a Type A personality, I am enjoying trying to achieve the best mpg without changing my former driving habits by extraordinary measures. In my 45 miles each way, I encounter every type of driving: country roads, interstate highway, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and heavy suburban driving. My top speed on the highway is 74, and I probably average somewhere around 40 or 45 mph each way.

So far (3 tanks), I am averaging around 35 mpg, though the gauge gives me a higher number. I have already signed up for the database and have three tanks registered. The past couple of days, I have been reading what I can on pulse and glide and I might try to use the NAV screens for better feedback. So far, I have been using the mpg meter and my own feel.

I still have much to learn about this fascinating technology and its best use. I am glad I found this forum.

Sorry for the long post....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Magnetic Gray Metallic 2008 TCH

Welcome!

Scott

Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Magnetic Gray Metallic 2008 TCH

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by graybrid
My son totaled the Mercedes wagon (he was, thankfully, unharmed) and so it was time for a new car. We considered two choices: 1. replace my wife's Mercedes with a Lexus; 2. give her my Acura 3.2 TL and get a new commuter car for my 90 miles per day (she drives less than 10K per year). We've been talking about hybrids for months and we have many friends who drive them with satisfaction.

We drove the Lexus - a nice ride - and then tried the 2008 Camry Hybrid. We were both surprised by its responsiveness (not quite the Acura, but close) and its luxury, so we decided to reduce our footprint, as they say. While looking at the TCH, we sat in a Camry XLE and really liked the wood grain. I asked for it in the Hybrid but was informed it was not a factory option. The dealer offered to install it through a custom shop, assuring us it would be a great addition. We took them up on it and have been so impressed by the look. I would show you some pics if I only knew how to post them.

I am now driving a luxury car that gets fabulous gas mileage. For the past 15 years, I have driven Mercedes, BMW, and Acura. I am perfectly satisfied with this new TCH in terms of driveability and comfort. Having a Type A personality, I am enjoying trying to achieve the best mpg without changing my former driving habits by extraordinary measures. In my 45 miles each way, I encounter every type of driving: country roads, interstate highway, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and heavy suburban driving. My top speed on the highway is 74, and I probably average somewhere around 40 or 45 mph each way.

So far (3 tanks), I am averaging around 35 mpg, though the gauge gives me a higher number. I have already signed up for the database and have three tanks registered. The past couple of days, I have been reading what I can on pulse and glide and I might try to use the NAV screens for better feedback. So far, I have been using the mpg meter and my own feel.

I still have much to learn about this fascinating technology and its best use. I am glad I found this forum.

Sorry for the long post....
You are in for such a treat! Type A, well you're in good company here. <GRINS>

One item I agree with is the fact that the upscale, gas-only vehicles tend to become the driveway queens. If you have a hybrid, use it and save the operational expense and bother. Well done!

Bob Wilson