Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

From MA - dealing to get an 06 HCH soon.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default From MA - dealing to get an 06 HCH soon.

Just posting to announce myself.

I was originally after the Prius but after getting numerous quotes, doing who knows how many comparisons and 'sleeping on it' for many nights, I have finally leaned to the 06 HCH.

Dealers around here just aren't budging far from MSRP on the Prius.. they are pulling in some serious profits on this car. Margins are far higher percentage wise than the HCH. They are a -little- more flexible with the HCH on price, but it takes some haggling and searching to find a deal.

In any case, after reviewing the budget, the cost, and features. I came to a decision. I am not financing this thing so a $4K difference in vehicle price is quite noticable. I'm not padding the extra cost into a longer term loan, so the initial hit to the wallet is more noticable.

My wife and I however decided that our next car would be a Prius or whatever equivalent there is then. Probably in 3 years or so. By then I hope the Prius3 will be out.

Well enough of the boring numbers analysis

I'm looking forward to being a Hybrid owner.

Current Primary Car:
2000 Subaru Forester. ~115k miles. I expect i'm getting just less than 20mpg right now on highway, though I haven't determined it exactly. Tons of cargo room, have had very minimal quirks with it up until now.. though the transmission is starting to slip and act skiddish sometimes. The AWD needs some care. If you have one be sure you get those trans flushes. Took a hard rear end collision once. The person hitting me completely totalled their car (very old Honda Civic as I recall). The Forester suffered minor bumper damage.

Other Car:
1988 Subaru DL. Only ~75k miles. Yes thats right, that mileage is crazy. My grandfathers old chariot We're replacing this sucker. Its going to charity. Small engine, hardly any power. It still runs quite well, though occasionally tough to start. I suspect the fuel pump is quirky.

-Gary.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: From MA - dealing to get an 06 HCH soon.

Welcome to GH!

Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Thumbs up Re: From MA - dealing to get an 06 HCH soon.

Originally Posted by GaryW
I was originally after the Prius but after getting numerous quotes, doing who knows how many comparisons and 'sleeping on it' for many nights, I have finally leaned to the 06 HCH.
Welcome to GH. You're going to love your HCH.

If you haven't seen how Honda's "3 stage i-vtec + IMA" system works here it is:

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/200...05b/index.html

Old 04-28-2006, 03:14 PM
hy-curious

Gary - Welcome from down in Li'l Rhody.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who'd rather pay for a car out of pocket than drive myself back into debt. Let us know how your HCH hunt goes.

Does anyone know if there's a breakdown by state of where Hybrids sell the best? The Altima article made it sound as if hybrids are moving mainly in CA, IL, and the Northeast.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome and enjoy your new purchase. I hope to have mine long enough that when I must buy a new car it will be a cash purchase...

Last edited by clyde2575; 05-05-2006 at 10:33 PM.