Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

just saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:25 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default just saying hello

guess i am supposed to introduce myself .....i am a young 58 year old grandmother (Yikes!!) in central minnesota, with a lot of concerns about both the environment, and the effects of all our use of fossil fuel. that, plus the cost of gas, has taken me to my new honda civic hybrid. this is my 4th honda, i started in 1985 with an accord, which was smaller than it is now, and followed that in 1993 with a civic lx. i drove both of these cars for at least 130,000 miles. when we moved to our farm in 2001, i ended up with a 40 mile commute one way, and felt more comfortable getting something with 4 wheel drive, so i got a 1998 subaru forester. a nice rig, but they just don't have the honda reliability.

last fall i got a 2004 CRV. i really like it, but was never very happy with the mileage and the small gas tank. felt like i was always having to fill it. then gas prices started going up, and quickly. i had been thinking of replacing the CRV, and the $3 gas did it. i was lucky enough that my dealer had a HCH coming within the week, and i bought it. i have been getting over 50MPG since the day i first drove it, and i am very pleased.

this is a great forum, and hopefully, will continue to grow as more people find out what the hybrids can do.

Last edited by laurie; 09-24-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2005, 09:22 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: just saying hello

Originally Posted by laurie
guess i am supposed to introduce myself .....i am a young 58 year old grandmother (Yikes!!) in central minnesota, with a lot of concerns about both the environment, and the effects of all our use of fossil fuel. that, plus the cost of gas, has taken me to my new honda civic hybrid. this is my 4th honda, i started in 1985 with an accord, which was smaller than it is now, and followed that in 1993 with a civic lx. i drove both of these cars for at least 130,000 miles. when we moved to our farm in 2001, i ended up with a 40 mile commute one way, and felt more comfortable getting something with 4 wheel drive, so i got a 1998 subaru forester. a nice rig, but they just don't have the honda reliability.

last fall i got a 2004 CRV. i really like it, but was never very happy with the mileage and the small gas tank. felt like i was always having to fill it. then gas prices started going up, and quickly. i had been thinking of replacing the CRV, and the $3 gas did it. i was lucky enough that my dealer had a HCH coming within the week, and i bought it. i have been getting over 50MPG since the day i first drove it, and i am very pleased.

this is a great forum, and hopefully, will continue to grow as more people find out what the hybrids can do.
Hi Laurie; I have posted with you on a few of the threads here before (License-Plate-Frames) and just read your intro. , so thought I would take a minute and say "Hi" my name is Terry and I don't have a Hybrid now but will in the months to come. I'm a 60 Yr. old fellow and the wifes name is Cathy and we have two Cats named Max and Tiger. Tiger is really my buddy, he is a Maine Coon and weighs approx. 26 Lbs. I did have a 2003 HCH and like always traded it off for something else that was a hot dog at the time and here I am coming back to the 06 HCH for you guessed it FE.

Terry

Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: just saying hello

hi, terry, thanks for the welcome. we have a max at our house, he's the hubby's corgi, and i have a chesapeake bay retriever called trevor. we also have 6 cats (only 1 in the house), 13 geese, 23 ducks, an uncountable amount of chickens, and two horses: an old black quarter horse named charlie, who is a rescue, and my norwegian fjord, Olso Gull, nicknamed oz. sometimes one horsepower is enough

Last edited by laurie; 09-25-2005 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2005, 03:27 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: just saying hello

hi, terry, thanks for the welcome. we have a max at our house, he's the hubby's corgi, and i have a chesapeake bay retriever called trevor. we also have 6 cats (only 1 in the house), 13 geese, 23 ducks, an uncountable amount of chickens, and two horses: an old black quarter horse named charlie, who is a rescue, and my norwegian fjord, Olso Gull, nicknamed oz. sometimes one horsepower is enough
laurie; and I thought two-cats sometimes were a bit much. You have some serious numbers there.

Terry

Old 09-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! I had a 2002 CRV that I traded for the exact same reason last year.. Don't know why I expected better mileage from it but I did.. I traded mine last year when gas hit $1.75.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:03 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by peggy
Welcome to the board! I had a 2002 CRV that I traded for the exact same reason last year.. Don't know why I expected better mileage from it but I did.. I traded mine last year when gas hit $1.75.

me too. i guess i expected better mileage because with my other two hondas, i always COULD get better. but no matter what i did with the CRV i never got it much above 25. i figure, we have a 4 wheel drive truck that we use for hauling stuff, and if the weather is bad enough to need 4 wheel drive to get to work, i can either use the chevy....or stay home.... i kind of miss being able to haul 9 bags of shavings like i could in the CRV.......oh well, we all must make choices.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

me too. i guess i expected better mileage because with my other two hondas, i always COULD get better. but no matter what i did with the CRV i never got it much above 25. i figure, we have a 4 wheel drive truck that we use for hauling stuff, and if the weather is bad enough to need 4 wheel drive to get to work, i can either use the chevy....or stay home.... i kind of miss being able to haul 9 bags of shavings like i could in the CRV.......oh well, we all must make choices.
Yeah I never hauled anything more than groceries with my CRV but I was filling it up twice a week.. BTW, I have three cats - 13 year old Sammy Jay and 5 month old twins tuxedos named Batman and Tony. I had a black/brown tabby that passed in July after taking insulin for diabetes for over a year and then kidney failure got him.

Last edited by peggy; 09-25-2005 at 07:03 PM.