Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hi from SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hi from SoCal

Hey everyone, I just joined up and was looking for some help.

I've been looking at getting a new Camry for a while now. I've just started thinking about going with the hybrid model instead of a normal Camry which I was before, but I want to ask about it first. I've never driven a hybrid before but do they run just like a non-hybrid vehicle? I was hoping someone could give me a rundown of any differences in performance (other than gas mileage) between the the two if there even are any. It would be a big help. Thanks.

Oh, and thank reminds me while I'm asking questions. Can someone recommend a good Toyota dealership in LA? I was planning on just going with http://manhattanbeachtoyota.com/ because its close but I'm open to suggestions.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hi from SoCal

Hi Chris,

Now is a good time to get a hybrid and yes they handle like ordinary cars and you have lots of good options. The Camry hybrid is an excellent vehicle but I'd recommend, if you can wait, try to test drive a Ford Fusion when it arrives. Also, being from California, you have several other hybrid sedans available including I believe a Nissan Altima.

I would suggest using the EPA fuel economy numbers as a guide. What you need to look for is a higher city mileage over the highway mileage. The greater the difference, the more 'hybrid' the vehicle. I've also enjoyed Consumer Reports and the "Best and Worst for 09" is on the news stands.

By June, there should be a much larger number of hybrids available and it should still be a buyer's market. But it helps if you can describe your usage:
  • 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k+ miles per year (the more miles, the more hybrid)
  • 1, 2, or more passengers frequently?
  • percentage city or more highway miles (some do better on highway)
  • creature comforts or utilitarian
  • favorite cruising speed (not what you tell the cop!)
We have a wide collection of hybrid owners and knowing what you're after ... how you typically drive ... we can suggest hybrids that best match your needs.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Do you know when the Fusion hybrid is supposed to be available? I ask because I'm not sure if my current car can last until June. I have a civic from 92 that has definitely seen better days. Usually I get a car and keep it as long as possible until it breaks down. This is my first time buying new, but I'm looking for something that will run for a while and be comfortable. I don't need anything sporty, just something reliable.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Engineering first

I believe all of the new hybrids are promised for the April/May time frame. But I've usually found that means visiting the dealers ahead of time. Fortunately you are in California and should be able to see the new models before we get them in Alabama.

I would recommend calling your local Toyota dealer and getting some 'seat time' in a Camry and even the 2009 Prius. As a general rule, I prefer the last year of a model because:
  • all of the latent defects have been incorporated from the factory assembly line
  • next model pressure tends to soften the last model year price (they want the latest hotness, not the 'last years model')
  • full new car warranty
  • a lot of user experience (Consumer Reports or ask folks here)
One other option is to call around the car rental places and see if you can rent a hybrid for a couple of days or a week. This will probably answer 90% of your questions and give you some quality 'seat time.'

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson