Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Another Prius owner in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, just got my Prius about a week ago, love the car so far. I would not have "gone out to get this car" but since I needed to get a new car anyway, I got myself on the waiting list in January. I got black with tan interior and package 7. Living in South Florida black may not be the best idea, silver was probably a better choice, but oh well. So far I'm averaging about 55 MPG in 70s temperatures on, of course, all flat roads with a mix of city and highway driving.

For some time now I've been interested in starting some alternative energy housing developments in South Florida, which is something I plan on working towards. I currently have a few connections with developers and such and hope to make this happen over the next 5 years or so, but time will tell.

I also run my own political website, that goes by my same name: www.rationalrevolution.net

Not for the faint

My background in cars has been mostly sports cars and trucks. I'm somewhat of an enthusiast, but not extremely. I recently gave up my 93 Mazda RX-7 R1 with mods. I used to autocross with it. I also own a 93 Toyota 4X4 pickup with lift and 37" tires.

My compliments to the host, great website.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributor ($)

rationalrevolution
Welcome to the website and congrats on the purchase. 3-4 month wait for your Prius...not bad. Getting 55mpg right away ought ot make you feel pretty good.

Alternative energy housing...Are you thinking solar or some other source?

That's a bold website you've got there. As you said, "not for the faint".

With your experience modding other vehicles, I'm sure, over time, you'll want to do a few mods to your Prius as well.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome
Keep in touch, this is the Best Web for us Prius owners
I'll be posting News on getting together for a Meet
-------------------Angel I.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Site Founder

Revolution -- going to start some debate on the forums?

Angel, Welcome, as well! It was great to meet you a few months ago. Also, if you're interested in custom hybrid t-shirts for your meet, let me know.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by ericbecky@Apr 19th 2004 @ 12:48 PM
rationalrevolution
Welcome to the website and congrats on the purchase. 3-4 month wait for your Prius...not bad. Getting 55mpg right away ought ot make you feel pretty good.

Alternative energy housing...Are you thinking solar or some other source?

That's a bold website you've got there. As you said, "not for the faint".

With your experience modding other vehicles, I'm sure, over time, you'll want to do a few mods to your Prius as well.
Yeah, solar and wind power is what I have in mind, as well as water conservation measures, as water conservation is big issue in South Florida anyway.

I think the way to get alternative energy going is to build entire subdivisions of houses that all have alternative energy systems built in and then sell the houses like they are sold in a normal large development.

That way its all already together, people don't have to "figure it out for themselves" and there is no "peer pressure" in NOT doing it because your house won't be the only one in the neighborhood to have solar panels on the roof and a windmill in the yard

Ahh.. the thought of a neighborhood of 50 homes or so that all use renewable energy sources and is filled with hybrids and other such vehicals....

I think there is demand and people would go for it, as such houses offer great investment oppertunity as the price of energy continues to climb. Figure in in 20 years the cost to run a "conventional home" is going to have gone way up, if you buy an alternative energy home today then in 20 years you know its value will be all the much higher. I favor concrete construction as well of course, for durability and energy saving purposes (actually the concrete/foam systems).

Now if I can just get the money together to get started