Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Engineers to Build and Sell 330 MPG Hybrid Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Engineers to Build and Sell 330 MPG Hybrid Car

Not only am I with Lakedude on this, but outside of a single person no cargo commute, it's completely worthless as a vehicle. I'll again echo the safety issue, it looks like a good crosswind, bad weather will fling it off the road, and against a "conventional" vehicle in an accident, it's a coffin on wheels.

I can't imagine how you'd do your grocery shopping with it. If it had more space, I could see it as a second vehicle, and use it as a commute vehicle in city if you don't have much to take with you, but even then, it seems impractical.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lakedude
Did anyone notice that there are no technical details what so ever in Jason's link. The whole thing is marketing mumbo jumbo. I'm putting this in the "believe it when you see it" bin.
That's the same impression I get of the plans to build GM Tahoe and Yukon hybrids - not a lot of technical detail. Yes, that might be a low blow on my part.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

The Aptera company has just started taking deposits ($500.00) for delivery about 12 months later. The cost for the hybrid version is about $27,500.00 The claimed mileage for the hybrid version is now about 233 mpg for the 1 cylinder diesel engine. The low drag coefficient and weight reductions due to composites account for most of the improvements in economy. 70% of the average vehicles energy is spent pushing air out of the way. For more info visit the Aptera website, we have a link on EVtransPortal.com (It's listed in our category "Manufacturers of Electric Three Wheeled Vehicles, Cars, Trucks, and Buses). We have photos of the interior, and exterior views on our myspace version http://myspace.com/evtransportal (click on view pictures) The company website is a bit cumbersome (lots of graphics, less on specifics like specifications).