New Insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Insight

I just picked mine up and I noticed with my driving early on I get better mileage without using the Econ button. Its a blend of 85% Hwy and 15% city use. This early on with just over 150 miles or so I stay in the low 50 mpg and when I go econ it goes into the mid 40's. Anyone else see this?
I'm reading so many comparisons to the Prius and so many complaints from one camp to the other.

I have several cars. I purchased the Insight to screw over big oil. Thats about it. I purchased it as a driving appliance. It has a few quirks. But I'm 6'3" 320 pounds- wide body, big legs etc and I fit into this better than my 2006 Lincoln LS- I can move the seat so far back that I almost cant reach it.
Sure no one can sit behind me in comfort but that goes for the rest of my cars too.
I'm hearing a bit more wind noise than I want at just 50 mph- However that may just need tweaked. We shall see. I heard another person say it was quiet. Its funny but true-my old man said it was quiet to but he can't hear crap- truth-LOL!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Insight

I'm approaching 10,000 miles on mine. I average 49 MPG in mixed Chicago driving and have always used the econ button.
I am 6' and 275 pounds and also find the seating to be comfortable. Friends have commented on how quiet the car is when I drive near them.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, sounds like great mileage.
I think the wind noise in mine is above average. Manipulating the window seals alters it somewhat. I'll take it back when a few other things can be added. Thxs

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

has anyone driven an Insight with and without the door visors?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I find my acceptable in terms of wind noise.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM

@ Goobers:

has anyone driven an Insight with and without the door visors?

I guess technically I have as the HIH I test drove didn't have door visors but I did have them installed on the Insight I ordered. I didn't notice any difference, but of course I didn't drive without them much.

I ordered them because one thing that drives me nuts with my Civic Hybrid is the inability to have the window open anything more than a sliver when it rains.

The door visors on the Insight work great. Now when it rains I can actually open my windows a couple inches and get enough airflow to keep the windows from fogging (instead of having to turn the AC on). Unless it's raining sideways of course.

I don't know if they make any difference as far as wind noise is concerned, but then again I always have the music louder than any road noise anyways. With SVC on high I might add.

Coming up on 20K miles (already!) and still loving it. Trip A is at 53.2 MPG after 340 miles and Trip B (which hasn't been reset since I picked up the car) is at 54.2MPG. Econ always on.

Last edited by mrkcohen; 10-08-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

I drove home in the rain last night in my '09 HCH II. When I went through the drive through, I got wet as did the driver's door and window controls. NOW I remember why I liked the visors on my '06 HCH. I think it's worse than other cars because of the shape.